Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Snippet deleted. See post for December 20, 2023 for details.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
randy

Post by randy »

A little confused on the rank structure (maybe I missed it in earlier books/snippets).

Centurion has traditionally (Roman army as well as various Mil SF) been a Senior NCO Rank. This implies to me that Centurion outranks a 2Lt. (obviously a SNCO has more moral and practical authority than a 2Lt, but legally...)

I assume the issue is that the Centurion would not be one to keep quiet about such obviously unauthorized shenanigans', even with a direct order from an officer.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but it did break the flow for me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:38 pm A little confused on the rank structure (maybe I missed it in earlier books/snippets).

Centurion has traditionally (Roman army as well as various Mil SF) been a Senior NCO Rank. This implies to me that Centurion outranks a 2Lt. (obviously a SNCO has more moral and practical authority than a 2Lt, but legally...)

I assume the issue is that the Centurion would not be one to keep quiet about such obviously unauthorized shenanigans', even with a direct order from an officer.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but it did break the flow for me.
Centurion replaces Captain (O3) in the Texas Army and Marines, to avoid confusion with the Navy rank of Captain (O6). This was explained in one of the notes sections at the end of ‘Texas at the Coronation’.

I chose that as it seemed to be the most natural substitution, since a Roman Centurion was a commander of 100 (roughly), similar to the size of a modern Company.

Sorry for the confusion.
randy

Post by randy »

No problem, I thought it was possible I had missed something (and to be honest, I don't often pay that much attention to end notes of a novel. Some of David Weber's end notes sections would make a novella all their own).

May be worth a throw away line where it's explained to a confused allied officer?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:02 pm No problem, I thought it was possible I had missed something (and to be honest, I don't often pay that much attention to end notes of a novel. Some of David Weber's end notes sections would make a novella all their own).

May be worth a throw away line where it's explained to a confused allied officer?
Good idea, I’ll have to see what I can work in.

BTW, I agree about Weber’s end notes. :evil:
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
randy

Post by randy »

Yep.

Although I do find a member of a service that uses ranks like Flight Lieutenant (excuse me, Leftenant) and Squadron Leader as ranks rather than Captain and Major being confused a little ironic. :mrgreen:
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:50 pm Yep.

Although I do find a member of a service that uses ranks like Flight Lieutenant (excuse me, Leftenant) and Squadron Leader as ranks rather than Captain and Major being confused a little ironic. :mrgreen:
Yeah, that occurred to me too. :twisted:
Captain Wheelgun

No comments about my weapon choices? Good, bad, magic brownies?