Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Snippet deleted. See post for December 20, 2023 for details.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Sounds pretty good so far, but in a discussion of this type, would they also bring up the question of "where do we see ourselves in this war?". At the time, all the major powers were still thinking and acting like the last war. i.e. , conquest and colonization. Once they fought for land, they wanted to hold it. Run supply lines through it to the front, and eventually build bases to better secure the land etc. etc. (see Pacific ocean campaign) I don't see Texas following that model but being like a large raider force that could attach itself to any allied operation as needed. I don't see Texas holding ground with the exception of the Caribbean islands they already took from the French.

Ray
Captain Wheelgun

tfbncc wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 am Sounds pretty good so far, but in a discussion of this type, would they also bring up the question of "where do we see ourselves in this war?". At the time, all the major powers were still thinking and acting like the last war. i.e. , conquest and colonization. Once they fought for land, they wanted to hold it. Run supply lines through it to the front, and eventually build bases to better secure the land etc. etc. (see Pacific ocean campaign) I don't see Texas following that model but being like a large raider force that could attach itself to any allied operation as needed. I don't see Texas holding ground with the exception of the Caribbean islands they already took from the French.

Ray
Good point. Yeah, they’re not looking to conquer and hold land permanently. I’ll have to see how I want to handle that.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

Just a quick announcement:

I’ll be going to P-Con in Dallas on Sept. 15 - 17, 2023

Maybe I’ll get to meet some of you there?

https://www.p-con.us/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:15 pm
Good point. Yeah, they’re not looking to conquer and hold land permanently. I’ll have to see how I want to handle that.
I mean, I could see some Texans, especially before A/C, deciding to keep parts of the Med...
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

One minor nitpick:
“That’s a really good question, Mr. President” said Velasquez’ chief of staff, George Delgado. “I’ll touch base with my media contacts. We may want to start putting out public announcements encouraging more women to do that.”
I'm not sure the term media was used widely in the 1930s-40s. In my reading of contemporary literature the generic collective noun is usually press (referring to both print and radio). A vanishingly small thing, though. Still going strong.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:06 pm One minor nitpick:
“That’s a really good question, Mr. President” said Velasquez’ chief of staff, George Delgado. “I’ll touch base with my media contacts. We may want to start putting out public announcements encouraging more women to do that.”
I'm not sure the term media was used widely in the 1930s-40s. In my reading of contemporary literature the generic collective noun is usually press (referring to both print and radio). A vanishingly small thing, though. Still going strong.
what he said. Now that he pointed it out it rings a bell with me as well
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:30 am
MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:06 pm One minor nitpick:
what he said. Now that he pointed it out it rings a bell with me as well
Thank you both. I’ll get that fixed.
Captain Wheelgun

BDK wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:06 pm
Captain Wheelgun wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:15 pm
I mean, I could see some Texans, especially before A/C, deciding to keep parts of the Med...
Yeah, that’s tempting. They’re not really conquerors, but they might look into a 99 year lease somewhere that they can keep an eye on France…

:twisted:
BDK

Post by BDK »

Especially when it’s 120 in the shade, back home.