Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
tfbncc

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by tfbncc »

OK, read the book in one afternoon. Review left on Amazon. And also a thank you for mentioning me in the dedication. I am glad I could help.

Ray
randy

Post by randy »

Apparently I have not purchased enough from my Amazon account to qualify to leave a review (most of our purchase are on the household account). If I can later I will

In the meantime I've been pimping it over on MeWe:
New book out from a fellow forum member over at the Gun Counter, his first one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TG ... ype=ebooks

For seventy years after a devastating war, the Republic of Texas kept to itself. But it would be rude not to attend the international naval review celebrating Britain’s new king, George VI. So with war clouds over Europe, Texas sends the elderly armored cruiser, San Antonio, and her new captain, Karl von Stahlberg.

While making new friends and meeting Texas’ ancient foe, can Karl and his men avoid sparking a war?

Full disclosure: I provided some inputs on snippets of an early draft, so I am a little invested.

I read through it in a marathon session that kept me up way too late, but I kept wanting to see what happened next (I was not privy to all of the book just snippets, so a lot was new material to me).

Apparently I have not spent enough with Amazon this year to qualify to post a review, but I would give it 4-5 stars. Good first book, and it left me wanting more. Waiting patiently for the next one in the series.

Oh, and releasing it on March 2nd, Texas Independence Day was a nice touch.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

randy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:52 pm Apparently I have not purchased enough from my Amazon account to qualify to leave a review (most of our purchase are on the household account). If I can later I will

In the meantime I've been pimping it over on MeWe:
New book out from a fellow forum member over at the Gun Counter, his first one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TG ... ype=ebooks

For seventy years after a devastating war, the Republic of Texas kept to itself. But it would be rude not to attend the international naval review celebrating Britain’s new king, George VI. So with war clouds over Europe, Texas sends the elderly armored cruiser, San Antonio, and her new captain, Karl von Stahlberg.

While making new friends and meeting Texas’ ancient foe, can Karl and his men avoid sparking a war?

Full disclosure: I provided some inputs on snippets of an early draft, so I am a little invested.

I read through it in a marathon session that kept me up way too late, but I kept wanting to see what happened next (I was not privy to all of the book just snippets, so a lot was new material to me).

Apparently I have not spent enough with Amazon this year to qualify to post a review, but I would give it 4-5 stars. Good first book, and it left me wanting more. Waiting patiently for the next one in the series.

Oh, and releasing it on March 2nd, Texas Independence Day was a nice touch.
Thanks for the review and promotion, Randy & Ray.

At one point today Texas at the Coronation was in the top 100 in both Alternate History and Alternate History Science Fiction on Amazon.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Captain Wheelgun

Starting on the next book. Here’s the first snippet...

Removed due to upcoming publication of Book 2. See my post on 09/07/2022 for more info.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
randy

Post by randy »

Good start.

Question on something I may have missed in the previous discussion leading up to the last book: Did the Alamo happen the same in their timeline as it did in ours? If so, wouldn't Bowie and Crocket be up there with Travis? Just something that jumped out at me.

With the single gold star of a Commodore and a small array of award ribbons on his left breast

That reads to me like the rank insignia is on his chest along with his ribbons. As opposed to his collars or on shoulder boards/epaulettes Which would have stripes not a star if following US/British traditions.

Or in the case of the US Navy of someone testifying to congresscritters, the rank would be stripes on the cuffs of his uniform blouse on the uniform usually worn at such times (the USAF call it Service Dress or Combination 1 depending on how old you are, not sure what the Navy calls it).

Of course, Texans being good sensible people might have decided that the same rank insignia is good enough for all branches and skip all the stripes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:34 am Good start.

Question on something I may have missed in the previous discussion leading up to the last book: Did the Alamo happen the same in their timeline as it did in ours? If so, wouldn't Bowie and Crocket be up there with Travis? Just something that jumped out at me.

With the single gold star of a Commodore and a small array of award ribbons on his left breast

That reads to me like the rank insignia is on his chest along with his ribbons. As opposed to his collars or on shoulder boards/epaulettes Which would have stripes not a star if following US/British traditions.

Or in the case of the US Navy of someone testifying to congresscritters, the rank would be stripes on the cuffs of his uniform blouse on the uniform usually worn at such times (the USAF call it Service Dress or Combination 1 depending on how old you are, not sure what the Navy calls it).

Of course, Texans being good sensible people might have decided that the same rank insignia is good enough for all branches and skip all the stripes.
The rank insignia is on his collar. Thanks for catching that.
Captain Wheelgun

randy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:34 am Good start.

Oh, and yes, the Alamo happened like in our time line. I wasn’t trying to put a complete list in there, but Bowie, Crockett, et al are in the Capitol.
Captain Wheelgun

Here’s the next snippet, picking up where the last one left off. Should I start a new thread for the new book so new posts don’t get lost?

Removed due to upcoming publication of Book 2. See my post on 09/07/2022 for more info.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Here’s a micro-snippet, from Karl’s report to the committee. I wonder what this could lead to... :twisted:

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:53 am “Yes, Mr. Chairman. Since the last report to the Congress, the Model 1939 1” auto-cannon, also known as the Polybolos, has passed it’s final tests and is now in full serial production.
You want a fun idea? A 37mm Hotchkiss revolving cannon(I so want on in 4 bore :twisted: ), with a low RPM drive system(steam?), combined with a link less feed system - 1500 rpm firing 1.5 inch explosive shells will ruin al or of people's day.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt