Why the classics are worth studying

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Re: Why the classics are worth studying

Post by randy »

I find the trend of criticizing the "whiteness" of Greek and Roman classics somewhat amusing.

100 years or so ago, immigrants from Italy and Greece weren't considered "white" by the powers that be (mostly graduates of Ivy League schools that still emphasized the classics). The influx of "darker" Eastern and Southern European people was part of the reason that Eugenics was so popular with the early Progressives.

In many ways "White" has become like "Fascist": a term applied to something you don't like (and probably want to destroy)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:21 pm 100 years or so ago, immigrants from Italy and Greece weren't considered "white" by the powers that be
Not just them - the irish weren't considered "white" until the 1950s - this goes back to when the irish catholics first started showing up in enmasse in the 1840s the were largely uneducated, illeterate, and usually didn't speak english. The fact that they were catholic was just icing on the cake. In fact, irish catholics in Chicago in the 1850s were the bottom rung of society, they were held even in more disdain than free blacks....
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:38 pm
randy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:21 pm 100 years or so ago, immigrants from Italy and Greece weren't considered "white" by the powers that be
....when the irish catholics first started showing up in enmasse in the 1840s the were largely uneducated, illeterate, and usually didn't speak english.....In fact, irish catholics in Chicago in the 1850s were the bottom rung of society, they were held even in more disdain than free blacks....
I guess some things don't change much :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:21 pm I find the trend of criticizing the "whiteness" of Greek and Roman classics somewhat amusing.
Using "whiteness" as a pejorative is a clear form of racism that needs to be called out. Of course the Asians are not getting on board the woke train so they are being thrown into the "white" bucket too..

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/02/2 ... -as-white/
Termite

Post by Termite »

"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I started reading the classics about 2008 or so. It's been good for me as a person. That's all I need to know.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!