Rats in paradise

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Vonz90

Rats in paradise

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg

Re: Rats in paradise

Post by Greg »

So, the EU.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

AKA, why everyone wants to live in cities without zoning/which predate zoning.

Most of the issues with reproduction in the EU/modern society is due to the burden of government.

People can not afford to start families in their youth, and then it seems more burdensome, because it is unnatural to have your first child in your early to mid thirties.

Furthermore, each child is inordinately expensive, both from the state, and many of the idiotic social pressures stemming from a bizarre fascination with adolescence, and marketing, and issues with putting children into the workforce/a school system which has taught the most able children little more than to tolerate hours of tedium and confinement.

The research seems a bit too trite.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I think it also helps explain why couples who want to have a family also want to move to the suburbs or exurbs. There is a natural desire to be in a less dense environment for child rearing.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

A buddy of mine has a tiny house and raised 5 kids in it. But it's on 80 acres of woods and pasture, and he has a number of outbuildings. I figure that's the way to do it. There's somewhere else to go or to send someone else to to relieve the density. Plus, he gets a landowner deer permit.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Until very recent history, 3000 square feet was a substantial house.

The “old” house on the family farm is about 2800, from the 1720s, as was a home of locally prominent man, and had formal, and servant, staircases.

Even in the 50s, middle class suburbia was ~1600’ (in the South. The north always had slightly larger homes, due to a need for more storage/the use of basements where the South uses outbuildings.)

They all, however, had a focus on children being outside. My niece and nephew have convinced me children are a bit like high drive, large dogs.

Keep them busy, and outside, as much as possible.

Whatever fool came up with trying to make them sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, ,it’s have been a masochist.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm Even in the 50s, middle class suburbia was ~1600’ (in the South. The north always had slightly larger homes, due to a need for more storage/the use of basements where the South uses outbuildings.)
In 1973, average house size iin the US was 1660 square feet. Today its 2687 square feet.

And it has nothing to dow ith children, but rather the trend of "cocooning". Instead of going out, families are staying home - Home Theters, "man caves", master suites, etc have all contributed to the growth of size in new consruction.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I recollect that nationwide in the 50's average family home was a ~900 sq ft 3 bdrm. 4-6 kids were common.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

It is getting hard to find a house of reasonable size around here (western NC/ upstate SC).

With the kids grown and moved out we only use about half of the 2000 sq/ft place we have now. For over a year we have been shopping and finally closing on a 1600 sq/ft place in SC. There are occasional older houses of a sensable size but most are newer and bigger or have been added on to and flipped driving the prices up to unreasonable levels if your not showing up with CA/NY money.

There are a few of the tiny house places but living in an overpriced small trailer isn't my thing. Cookie-cutter house developments too. A lot of those popping up, some at ~1500 sq/ft but on tiny little lots with HOAs that I am not interested in.

Asheville NC was a nice little mountain town. Now it's "full", referred to as the San Francisco of the east and dealing with the crime and homeless people after they have packed everyone in.... like rats in a cage
Termite

Post by Termite »

Cobar wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:52 pm Asheville NC was a nice little mountain town. Now it's "full", referred to as the San Francisco of the east and dealing with the crime and homeless people after they have packed everyone in.... like rats in a cage
I would have thought winters in Asheville would discourage the homeless from congregating there.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."