Rock and Roll Seniors Tour Report

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
blackeagle603

Rock and Roll Seniors Tour Report

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well that was interesting.
Went on some leftover tickets to see Joan Jett and Heart last night. On a school night no less! :)

Not much of a concert goer. Been at least 10 years.

Impressions:
1. Wow -- Alcohol promotion and sales in your face. You sober? Can't find a bottle of water to drink. Coffee? Not a chance. Insane the gauntlet of booze sales and promos on the big screen (and this from a guy with multiple Subic Bay liberty and shorepatrol ribbons). No place for someone in sober living/recovery to be.

On the upside, I did not know that Coors Lite is now the official beer of drinking in the shower.

2. Joan Jett has stayed on top of things. Does her thing well. In great shape musically and physically.
Though there's something disconcerting about a 60 year old woman in tight leather and (presumably) a wig singing "Cherry Bomb" and "Do you wanna touch me" <see Subic Bay experienced comment above>

3. Heart. Oh my. OH. MY.
Did not disappoint. Pro's. Such harmonies. Such musicianship. Worth the late night. Totally.

<definitely not a PI impersonators cover band -- as good as some of them were/are>
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Rock and Roll Seniors Tour Report

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Glad you had a good time. We saw Peter Frampton (his last tour) about three weeks ago. Man, can that guy play. Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience opened.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Frampton is due in San Diego shortly at the arena at SDSU. That was a set of tix I pondered. The electronic billboard at State is along my commute reminding me almost daily.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Worth it if the ticket prices aren't ridiculous. Ours were pretty reasonable for pavilion seats at Blossom Music Center.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Going to see King Crimson with the wife next week. Robert Fripp blew up the line up and started over for his current one as he does when he gets bored, but since he is Robert Fripp the new one could be called a super group if they did not want to call it King Crimson. The videos of this line up are very cool, really looking forward to it. I have not seen a big name concert in years.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:31 pmThough there's something disconcerting about a 60 year old woman in tight leather and (presumably) a wig singing "Cherry Bomb" and "Do you wanna touch me"
Lemmys last performance was less than 2 weeks before he died at 70 from cancer, but he looked sìck. Still it shows what kind of dedication some of the smaller performers have.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Saw Alice Cooper back in July -- still going strong. Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper Group sat in for a song or two.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.metalexpressradio.com/2019/ ... mson-live/

Saw King Crimson Tuesday night in Chicago. More or less the same show reviewed above.

Very fracking cool show. I love the music but even more so they are incredibly tight. The wife is not nearly into as much as I am but enjoyed it for the musicianship as much as anything.

10/10 - would go again
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Frampton farewell tour hits San Dog (SDSU, Open Air theater) 03OCT. Still tempted but a lot of evenings full up.