The Revenant

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aesop

Re: The Revenant

Post by Aesop »

Little Sister wrote:Aesop

Thanks for your review of The Revenant. It gave me some great laughs. Like reading the Mad Magazine review of a new film. It was a way to know what new films were about with humor and I could know if I wanted to see it.

This one is a pass. Thanks for the insight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad you appreciated it.
My goal with a review is that even if we totally disagree on whether a movie is good or bad, that based on my review, you'll know whether or not you will want to see it/like it.

I've listened to reviewers whose opinions are 180 degrees out from mine, but I still like their reviews because I know whether or not I'll like a movie, which to me is the whole point.
Somewhere, there's someone (a lunatic, certainly, but still out there) who'll like this crapwagon of a flick.
I can't argue taste; I just try to articulate why I think this one or that one is worth sampling, or not.

As for the humor, I'd like to say I worked on it for this flick, but it was so loathsomely horrendous that mocking its flaws and shortcomings was a bit like kicking the retarded kid.
But in this case, it was so bad it simply had to be done.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Got it. If the missus says we should go see this, I'll just fire up my computer and watch the 2009 version of the Revenant. Got better reviews from family and friends anyways.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

evan price wrote:The only thing I remember about Waterworld of note was the theater I saw it in- Florence Kentucky- had nice leather reclining seats. In 1995, Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" album had been released and "You Ought To Know" was constantly on the radio. Because of that, the then-future Mrs. Price and I found out "will she go down on you in a theatre?" was quite possible.
The movie itself was backdrop, I don't remember much of it, but the intermission was delightful!
I had a similar experience at that exact same theater with my brand new wife, now ex wife, when we went to see Broken Arrow. We were visiting her folks over the holiday and just wanted to get away for awhile. The movie was so gawd awful, we had to do SOMETHING to pass the time. :twisted:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I did love the Twitter comedy this movie generated when it was rumored that Leo's character gets raped by a grizzly in the movie.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

....and the pity Oscar goes to.......Leonardo diCrapio, for all those other times he's been passed up.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Sam would've killed him, but pity stayed his hand.
Thought Sam, "It's a pity I'm out of bullets.".

- National Lampoon's Bored Of The Rings
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I guess I should be ashamed that I liked Waterworld. :oops:
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Join the club. I enjoyed it too.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just out of curiosity, how many of the Hollywood darlings there, wearing their anti-gun bracelets, would have showed up if they were told that there would be no armed security?

And incidentally, I kinda enjoyed "Waterworld", and even kinda liked "The Postman." But since I've seen "Man in the Wilderness", and read numerous accounts of the life and times of Hugh Glass, I think I can avoid "The Revenant" without feeling unduly deprived.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom