Watching war movies with the protest-friendly crowd

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
SoupOrMan

Re: Watching war movies with the protest-friendly crowd

Post by SoupOrMan »

Well, it's not a slapstick comedy like "Ultraviolet," that's for sure.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

The funniest bits of "Lord of War" are pretty much in the previews.

As for [strike]Ultraviolent[/strike] Ultraviolet, it's pretty to watch, but that's the best thing I can say about it.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Oh, come on, now. The entire flaming serrated katana fight in the dark was pure gold.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

dfwmtx wrote: -"Lord of War" is not a comedy movie
It isn't?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

SoupOrMan wrote:Oh, come on, now. The entire flaming serrated katana fight in the dark was pure gold.
Like I said, pretty to watch.
FelixEstrella wrote:
dfwmtx wrote: -"Lord of War" is not a comedy movie
It isn't?
I wish the second half was as funny as the first half, but that would mean Hollywood would've made a pro-gun film, and as we all know that can't ever happen or else the fabric of the universe gets ripped apart.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Gomai

Post by Gomai »

After 9/11 a student discussion group spran up at NAU under the title "Meeting of the Minds." It was originally just a forum for people to talk about how that day had effected their lives, but since the people there enjoyed talking and hearing a room of the like-minded agree with them it kept going for quite a while.

I loved showing up there with my friends and playing the role of their Great Satan.

Out of all the visits there, nothing ever topped the singularly best example of blisteringly painful idiocy then one girls response to my friend Bob (who later went on to join the AF). Bob had been expounding on how dangerous certain countries in the world could be and how dictatorial governemnts didn't tend to do favorable things for their citizen's human rights. The girl stood up and with a perfectly sincere, desperate plea told us, "We need to all work together to stop white male oppression! Like... like at Kent State! And Tianamen Square!"

Even some of the most crazy of the wannabe hippies in the room couldn't help but crack up with us when we heard that. It just got even worse when she couldn't understand what was so funny.