Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Rereading McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and reading Joost van Meerloo's The Rape of the Mind, Anspach & Cole's Dark Victory (Galaxy's Edge series), Sense and Sensibility (yes, that one). Recently finished Charles Stross's The Labyrinth Index (latest of the Laundry Files, which appears to be winding down).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Read all three of M.A. Rothmans, Levi Yoder series.

Very well done genre.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:13 pm
evan price wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:07 pm The City Stained Red by Sam Sykes
I read a few of those back in the day. Pretty good, but kind of like a twinkie.
I like the ideas that the party of adventurers not only has their own individual problems but also hate each other.
Sam does seem to spend too much time on scene and loses track of the overall story which is why his books are so long. But well written.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Got bored with the old exploration stuff. Reading Samuel Delaney's Babel-17. Enjoying it so far.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

After being intrigued by a number of snippets posted and commented over at Isegoria, I grabbed a copy of Charles Duhigg’s The Power of Habit. Written in a style not dissimilar to Malcolm Gladwell’s books, it has given me some insights into a couple of personal habit changes I’ve made or tried to make, with likely reasons as to why the attempts did or did not work.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Necro post!

I recently finished Ivanhoe, and I really enjoyed it. So, I thought I should try some more Walter Scott. I'd started Rob Roy years ago, but not finished it. So, I started again from the beginning. My recollection proved true. The story itself, so far has been tedious. The prefatory material tells about Rob Roy's actual life and is quite interesting. But Francis Osbaldistone? Diana Vernon? Not enjoying it. I'm around 300 pages in, and finally in Scotland. I will absolutely finish it this time, though.

One funny thing: Francis Osbaldistone, after talking to Bailie Jarvie, writes, "I interrupted these prolegomena, in which Mr. Jarvie was apt to be somewhat diffuse..." Like Walter Scott is anyone to talk about prolegomena - I think his prefatory remarks ran to 70 or 80 pages! :lol:

I will say that I enjoy Walter Scott for how often he sends me to the dictionary, though.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just finished Metaxes' "Bonhoeffer" That's a lot of pages. Built to a crescendo, better as it went to the end. Got a bit dusty at the end there.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Reading The Fall of Gondolin by Tolkien a little at a time. Also finally read Cryptonomicon a while ago.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just past halfway through Correia's In Defense of the Second Amendment and closing in on the halfway mark of Call Sign Valkyrie (from the Galaxy's Edge universe). Also finished Emma and started Northanger Abbey. Over Christmas break I read Mel Brooks's All About Me (I figured it would be at least okay, but it was really quite good).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Currently plowing through the Deathworlders. Online book currently at 92(? Maybe 94?) chapters. Available for free.

Long read but a very fun premise. I think HTRN pointed it out on another thread a while back and I finally delved into it.

https://deathworlders.com/
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams