I need a new fiction author to follow

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jered

Re: I need a new fiction author to follow

Post by Jered »

Kratman is writing the next Carreraverse book, and I think he also is writing a 'seeadler' which is about a German invasion of the UK.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I have started reading some Stuart MacBride books. Crime fiction set in Aberdeen ( Scotland )
Normally I cannot abide crime fiction, especially serial killer books but these are pretty damn good. Dark and twisted humour with characters you actually like, or at least identify with somehow.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Jered wrote: I think he also is writing a 'seeadler' which is about a German invasion of the UK.
He'll have to go some to beat Len Deightons "SS-GB"
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:Image
It's only a year. No biggie, we've had much worse necro threads. :shock:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Highspeed wrote:
Jered wrote: I think he also is writing a 'seeadler' which is about a German invasion of the UK.
He'll have to go some to beat Len Deightons "SS-GB"
At this point he mainly seems to be doing extremely meticulous research, to get ALL the details right. He wants this alt-hist exercise to be completely plausible, down to the last operational and logistical detail. There are several Seeadler threads ongoing over in Kratman's author area on the Baen forums.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:It's only a year. No biggie, we've had much worse necro threads. :shock:
Of course. But I've got the image just sitting there on the server, waiting to be used. I do have to wonder what possessed him to go back a year and dig that up, though.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

(because I missed this thread the first time)

+1 to Kratman
+1 to Ringo
+1 to O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin
+1 to Niven/Pournelle collaborations. Some are better than others.

I agree with the criticisms on Lee Child, but I also agree with the "airport book" comment. They are good for that. Especially if you begin by finding one in an airport, like I did.

Add Robert B. Parker's Spenser series. The series started a bit thing for me, got really good for the middle portion, then got very predictable. I guess that's why he started Jesse Stone.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I read some Lee Child books, based on hearing about him on here, and wanted to save the rest of y'all some money...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Aglifter wrote:Another +1 on the Jack Reacher books being too technically wrong.

I tried a few, thinking maybe it was just the first one that he would have wrong, but he's just too full of crap on guns, and the physical training.
Yup Its why I stopped reading them .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.