What I'm Reading Now and Have Just Finished

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
The Quiet Man

Re: What I'm Reading Now and Have Just Finished

Post by The Quiet Man »

dfwmtx wrote:I began and finished "Alas, Babylon" this past weekend.
I finished it last night! Excellent book and I would highly recommend it. Just before that one I finished reading "Earth Abides"...another excellent book that will really make you think and haunt your dreams.
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

Last book I read was "Ted, White and Blue." Finished that last month, and I enjoyed it.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

You know that many books can be previewed on Google Books? For instance, I finished The 47th Samurai (a Bob Lee Swagger book by Stephen Hunter) not too long ago, and to read portions of it online, you can go to books.google.com and read quite a few pages there.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

308Mike wrote:You know that many books can be previewed on Google Books? For instance, I finished The 47th Samurai (a Bob Lee Swagger book by Stephen Hunter) not too long ago, and to read portions of it online, you can go to books.google.com and read quite a few pages there.
I really enjoy Stephen Hunter's books, he's an excellent writer, and makes very few technical errors, which is a big plus in my opinion. Right now I'm reading "Second Saladin", when I have time.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:I really enjoy Stephen Hunter's books, he's an excellent writer, and makes very few technical errors, which is a big plus in my opinion. Right now I'm reading "Second Saladin", when I have time.
Lately, when I haven't had the time I need to read, I've been picking up books on CD instead. The 47th Samurai is 11 CDs long, and I listened to Chickenhawk for the drive to and back from Rumpshot's Revenge III, and it finished as I drove up the hill towards our house. Listening to good books also causes me to drive slower so I spend more time in the car listening to my latest book on CD.

You can find quite a few books on CD on usenet, but I like to support those writers I like which helps encourage further issues and/or books.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

I just started reading "A Canticle For Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller jr. It is another post-apocalyptic novel. Actually the next in the line is "Lucifer's Hammer" and then I'm gonna have to step away from the post-apocalyptic/sci-fi stories for a while....
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

While looking for a book on the shelves for someone else I found a 1943 printing of "Combined Operations, The Official Story of the Commandos" that I picked up at a gun show many years ago. Its a bit fragile so I'm being slow and careful with it.

So far its quite interesting, though it is clearly written in the most positive light possible. I love all the references to the invasion to come and the importance that combined operations would doubtless have.
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

And of course, over the weekend I bought and started two books (which is why I've been away):
1) Neon Genesis Evangelion vol.1. Yes, the manga version of my favorite TV series (and perhaps the biggest mind screw ever). Slighty different from the series (so far), but interesting still.

2) Dreadnought: Britian, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War by Robert Massie. One of the most interesting historical periods to me personally is pre WW1 Europe. This book is nicely detailed and in depth.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Finished "The Village" by Bing West last night. (platoon living longterm in/among village while fighting VC), Marine recruiter pointed my son to it, he passed it along to me when finished.

Lessons learned in Viet Nam, forgotten and relearned in the sandbox.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I finished "The Trial" by Franz Kafka last week, and have started "A Farewell to Arms" by Hemingway.