For those of you who don't like country music...

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
dfwmtx

Re: For those of you who don't like country music...

Post by dfwmtx »

The closest I get to liking modern country is the Alan Jackson / Jimmy Buffer duet of "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere". Otherwise, I really can't stand these modern folks.

Ironically, it was rock covers which got me into Johnny Cash. I heard a comparison between Trent Reznor/NIN's "Hurt" and Cash's, and I loved Cash's version. Went and bought the single that same day.

And the other thing which got me enjoying old country....playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and listening to the selection on their country station. Not bad stuff.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

dfwmtx wrote:The closest I get to liking modern country is the Alan Jackson / Jimmy Buffer duet of "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere". Otherwise, I really can't stand these modern folks.

Ironically, it was rock covers which got me into Johnny Cash. I heard a comparison between Trent Reznor/NIN's "Hurt" and Cash's, and I loved Cash's version. Went and bought the single that same day.

And the other thing which got me enjoying old country....playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and listening to the selection on their country station. Not bad stuff.
NIN's music is crap on a crap cracker. I despise their techno sounding garbage. Johnny Cash was cool, and in the earlier rebel kind of way. Also he was REALLY popular on the Pittsburgh rock stations, for some reason(Yeah, his music is good, but why do they play it on a rock stations?).
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Except for the folks already mentioned and the chick who did "Gunpowder and Lead", NuCountry is crap. I'd rather listen to Techno. The Eagles are more country than most NuCountry performers.

And where's Marty Robbins on the classics list? Oh, yeah, he's Western and we're talking Country... :mrgreen:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Rumpshot wrote:
Rod wrote:Well, guess you can't say I don't like country. I just got two Silver package tickets for Sean Hannity's Freedom Concert in Phoenix August 9 of next year. Tried for the gold tickets but they were sold out.
You so & so....

I have been trying to go for years. San Diego one year looked doable, but ended up it was not.

This is a Sunday. I should be off work, but should also be a rendezvous weekend (I sell books at rendezvous, should be income).

Currently the budget does not allow purchase..... :cry: :cry:
Other play dates...check it out at the site.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Mud_Dog wrote:
Aglifter wrote:Muddog, you may like South Austin Jug Band -- there's plenty of good Texas country musicians, but A) they don't tend to leave the state B) they essentially view Nashville as evil incarnate...

Unfortunately, SAJB lost their bass player, and aren't quite as good -- Joe Eley and Billy Joe Shaver are also great to see.
They sound ok(based on the playlist they have on their website), but the singing reminds me of Marcy Playground with a country upbringing. Maybe the rest of the album is better, but I don't know...
:
Well, if it's the current stuff, they've really changed since the old bass player left. Unfortunately, their albums never have sounded anything like their shows... Your the second person I've heard complain about the lack of jugs...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Cybrludite wrote:
And where's Marty Robbins on the classics list? Oh, yeah, he's Western and we're talking Country... :mrgreen:
I didn't list Jimmy Rogers or Willie Nelson either -- it was exemplary, not exhaustive... :P Marty Robbins is at a whole other level -- he, and Patsy Cline, IMO, are two of the few who are worthy of listening to on vinyl.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I don't like the whining, crying, woe-is-me crap, with the steel guitar sounding the same way: whining, kick-the-dog, let's-go-git-drunk, those-aren't-my-boots-under-her-bed everyone feel sorry for my transplanted NYFC ass 'cause my boots don't fit right and my dog done run off with a fwench poodle crap.

Now I have found some country I like, but it's a little more rock & roll style and not so much dhimmicraptic I-need-someone-to-wipe-my-nose style.

I can take only so much complaining and whining before it gets on my nerves.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Denis

Post by Denis »

What was that line from the Blue Brothers...
We have all kinds of music here, country and western.
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

My "woman done left me and now I'm sad" music is the Blues.

But I do like a bit of country flavor to my rock every now and again- such as the Eagles, CSN&Y, et al.
randy

Post by randy »

I got my distaste for C&W from being forced to listen to it when I was a kid. My mom was always playing late 40's and 50's C&W, Saturday nights when we were in the car the radio was set to the Grand Ol' Opry, and the one TV in the house was always on Porter Wagner and Hee Haw whenever they were on, no matter what else we were watching at the time they started.

So I OD'd on it growing up, maybe a bit of the kid rebellion thing, but I was so happy to get my very own AM radio so I could listen to anything else. (Pop-40 mostly, KIOA daytime and WLS night time).

I've got more tolerance today, and like some stuff (Whiskey for my Men, Beer for my Horses, Courtesy of the Red White and Blue.,,) but I'm with Mike on the sappy woe is me stuff. I can't relate and can't stand to listen to whiners.

Of course I don't like a lot of new stuff either. But then of all the songs released in a year only a few are ever going to become worth keeps. One reason I listen to mostly "classic rock" stations. A lot more good stuff to choose from over a 40 year period than from the current Chart.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".