Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
HTRN

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by HTRN »

Rustyv wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Currently plowing through the Deathworlders. Online book currently at 92(? Maybe 94?) chapters. Available for free.
How far have you gotten? Has Adam become Warhorse yet?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

HTRN wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:59 am
Rustyv wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Currently plowing through the Deathworlders. Online book currently at 92(? Maybe 94?) chapters. Available for free.
How far have you gotten? Has Adam become Warhorse yet?
Long time ago. I’m in book 91 (I just checked). About 25 years After Vancouver at this point.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Decided to give Herodotus a go again. Got to the story of Arion the minstrel, and I realized it's Jimmy Buffett's Jolly Mon.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Reading "The Mummy of Montecristo" kind of a weird west Europe version with zombies and Kraken where Edmond becomes a Mummy Lord to get his revenge.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
evan price

Post by evan price »

Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

About halfway through Emma, started Cal Newport's Deep Work, am up to the recounting of Tassafaronga in Morison, vol. V, and started Patrick Chiles's latest, Escape Orbit.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm about halfway through HMS Surprise, the third of the Aubrey/Maturin series. I recently went a little nuts on abebooks.com, so now I think I have about 12 of the 27. I think I have the first 7 or 9 chronologically. I'm enjoying them immensely.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Highly recommend Escape Orbit. Now reading Toll's Pacific Crucible, still on Deep Work, and about to finish Dreyfus and Kelly's All Things Shining (interesting discussions about the Iliad, Dante, Martin Luther, and Moby Dick in the context of Western civilization). I'll be starting the 2011 verse translation of the Iliad soon.

For more fun reading, I just finished John "Doc" Spears' Warlord of the Broken Land, third book in his Warlord series from Anspach and Cole's WarGate imprint. Think John Carter of Mars, if John Carter were SF, got himself zapped to Mars with a handful of buddies and another handful of Blue Falcons, and a Perpetual Taco Machine. Highly entertaining milSF/space opera.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I've been reading "The Wind off the Island" by Ernle Bradford. It's the third book of his I'm reading. It's basically a diary of his sailing in the Mediterranean with his wife (something the fishermen they meet just shake their heads in disbelief.

The first book was "Ulysses Found", which benefited greatly from his decades of sailing around the Mediterranean in all seasons and noticing how, unlike a fairy tale, the voyages of Ulysses closely match the directions and times one would encounter sailing to various places, from Djerba, the land of the lotus-eaters, to the land of the cyclops on the southern coast of Sicily, the wandering rocks north east of Sicily, Circe, Scylla and Charibdys, his sailors' reaction to sailing from eastern Sicily in the wrong season, and other places described in the Odyssey.

The second book of his that I've read is "The Great Siege of Malta of 1565" when the Turks decided that they wanted Malta as well as Rhodes, Cyprus, Crete, and the others.

He is an engaging writer with a vivid way of expressing himself. I intend to read his other books, including his biography of Sir Francis Drake.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

How have I offended the Internet gods? I've posted this three times because each time I try to post it says this forum is unable to process my request. Since I can see that it did post, I'm not going to take its word for it that it didn't post, and hope the moderators can eliminate the two duplicate posts.

It gives me a white page with:

This page isn’t working
www.theguncounter.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

So now that I know not to take its word for anything, I haven't re submitted.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy