Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Snippet deleted due to upcoming book release March 2, 2022.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Excellent. So far, you have done a good job with the backstory and setting the scene in this alternate history. I do hope that the action sequences will be just as good. Do you have an approximate date when you think the whole thing will be done?
Captain Wheelgun

Thank you. I’m glad you have enjoyed it so far.

I’m currently looking at the end of October for the writing, then editing and formatting for publishing as an e-book in early November.

There isn’t a lot of action planned for this book, it’s more setting the stage for books to come (hint: WW2). There will be a couple of action scenes, hopefully they will be good.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Thanks, now quit lollygagging around and finish the book.
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Finally, some action. Mucho snippage of some parts, this is the result of a twelve hour, 6,000 + word writing binge (Oh my aching head)...

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

How does the action scene look to y’all? I’ve never written anything like that before.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

OK, couple of quibbles I'd like to address. First off, let me preface this with the statement "it's your book, your navy, you run it the way you want"

Now, the location of the OOD during the action. When docked/anchored/moored in port, The flag is shifted from the signal mast to the stern mast and the OOD shifts his watch from the bridge to the quarterdeck. The quarterdeck location can be anywhere on the main deck wherever the gangplank or accommodation ladder is located. The bridge is normally shut down except for a sailor from the Navigation Dept who keeps the ship's log up to date plus they may have stationed lookouts on the bridge wings. This location on the main deck allows him to greet any visitors that may come to the ship and control personnel coming and going at the point of entry. . Military personnel either coming aboard or leaving salute the flag at the stern then salute either the OOD or the Petty Officer of the Watch and request permission to come aboard or leave the ship. The only exception to this rule is if you are part of a working party leaving the ship by other means such as supply boats etc. So, when the security watch detected the people on the barge, they would not call the bridge but the quarterdeck. When the action started, the OOD would have either had to call the bridge to have general quarters sounded or he would have had to run up there himself.

The use of gyrocopters to transport injured would be a waste of time. Since Captain Welch was already onboard, his launch would be tied up standing by and could be used to transport all 15 of the wounded plus attending corpsman in one trip. It would be imminently faster than trying to ferry one injured man at a time. There would also be other ship's boats in the water. It is normal to put a couple of P boats (personnel boats) in the water when you moore or anchor out. These would be used anytime someone needs a ride for official business.

When the Captain comes on the bridge and asks for "damage reports, all compartments" who is he asking? During times like this, direct communication is key. The Captain would preface his orders by calling out the person he wants an answer from, ie. "OOD, report!". The OOD would be responsible for knowing the status of the ship including: current situation as known, current orders to deal with the situation, what damage had been reported to Damage Control Central up till that moment, weapons status, readiness condition (GQ), number of dead and/or injured known, etc. and would pass all this to the Captain. The Captain would then decide if he needed to take control or let the OOD continue. Command does not automatically shift to the Captain just because he is present.

The fuel explosion on the barge, while large and flashy and would indeed turn night to day, would probably not knock out bridge windows. They are thick! And impact resistant so that a rogue wave won't bust out a window during rough weather. On the other hand, instrument glass is just normal window pane glass and most of them would probably shatter.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. Or you can just tell me to pack sand and continue on with the story.

Ray