3d Uber-Printer Build (Voron 2.4)

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Netpackrat

Re: 3d Uber-Printer Build (Voron 2.4)

Post by Netpackrat »

Wanted some sort of organizer for the different nozzles for the Revo hot end... Saw a bunch on Printables and elsewhere, but nothing that I was really happy with. I liked the idea of this one but it had a number of flaws:

https://www.printables.com/model/234107 ... zzle-skirt

The door with rack for nozzles is cool, but there was nothing to hold it closed, the nozzle rack with 2 pointing down and one pointing up left a lot to be desired, and the use of two M3 screws for the hinge was not the best. I redesigned it to not suck by replacing the screws with just a cut piece of filament for the hinge, which allowed me to locate it closer to the corner of the door, and I used a pair of 5mm round magnets to provide latching to hold the door closed. I redesigned the rack itself to hold a total of 4 nozzles all in the same orientation, and I removed some text the original designer added to the door because it annoyed me:

https://www.printables.com/model/469156 ... lder-remix

I made these for both sides of the printer using the "mirror" function in PrusaSlicer.

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

IMO having some kind of a camera on a 3D printer is a must, for remote monitoring of print progress so one can check in on how a print is progressing, and intervene if need be in the event of a failure. On the Prusas I came up with a kind of elaborate setup based on Sneaks' articulating arm, mounted to the X motor so the camera rises with the print, and with the ribbon cable for the pi camera in a drag chain between the arm and the pi case. As I did when I got the first Prusa, I had been using a standard baby monitor for this, but I wanted to use the built in camera support in the Klipper firmware.

This wasn't going to work (at least not easily) on the Voron due to the nature of the flying gantry, the additional resonance mounting a camera to it would entail (mainly due to the higher print speeds), and the difficulty in running cables cleanly. Some people have managed to mount a camera internally in the enclosure and not on the gantry, but there's not a lot of room, and just for simplicity's sake I opted to mount a cheap USB webcam on the outside of the case, looking in through one of the clear acrylic side panels. I am not interested in recording timelapses, so good enough is good enough in this application.

As a first step, I added a USB receptacle to one of the previously blanked off keystone ports on the rear skirt of the machine, and then routed a 2' USB cable from that to the Raspberry Pi in the electronics bay, through the existing cable raceways. This allows me to plug in and unplug the camera without needing to access the electronics bay. To mount the camera, I went with the basic articulating arm again, and had to hunt around a bit to find an adapter that would work with the way the Voron mounts the enclosure panels to the frame since the standard mount for 2020 extrusions won't fit with the enclosure panels installed. As I did with the ribbon cables, I designed and printed a custom standoff to allow the cable to be cleanly secured to the arm. All that remains is to print some clips I found to route the cable along the frame to the back.

Here is the webcam mounted to the printer showing the articulating arm. I haven't done anything for cable management yet in this picture.

These are the standoffs I made, showing how they secure the cable to the arm, while preventing it from getting kinked by the zip ties.

USB cable routed along the arm. I only put the standoffs at every other link on the arm.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

So after nearly 6 months of printing on the Voron without issues, I went to start a print a couple weeks ago, and it would not home the Y axis. Gave an error message to the effect that the Y endstop was already triggered. I removed the PCB that mounts both the X and Y limit switches from the gantry, and the switch itself seemed to function fine. Didn't have time then to dig into it further, but last night I flipped the machine on its back to access the Y endstop connector at the board, and checked the wire with a meter. No continuity, so there's a break probably somewhere in one of the drag chains, which kind of sucks.

I got on the LDO channel on the Voron discord, and asked what wire spec I needed to source (yeah, I can probably get this from the BOM too but I paid $1400 for a kit for a reason). I was quickly contacted by an LDO rep who had me check my kit number and date of purchase. She informed me that my kit is under warranty, and to contact the reseller where I bought it for a new harness, which I plan to do today.

That being said, re-doing the entire harness seems like even more of a colossal pain in the ass than just changing out the bad wire, so assuming they come through with the new one, I am probably going to hold it in reserve in case more wires go bad. For now I think it will be a lot easier to just run a new single wire and crimp new ends onto it, and probably abandon the old wire in situ. It will still be a bunch of work, but better than changing out the entire harness.

Of course this is why all of the cool kids are going to "canbus" which replaces most of the wires in the drag chains with a databus made of just a few wires, so once you have it up and running, the odds of fatigue related wiring issues are significantly reduced. From what I have seen, it looks like a cast iron bitch to get working correctly, so I think I am going to stick with the default configuration for the time being.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Have it working again. The wire from the Y-axis limit switch was completely severed a few inches into the Y drag chain (not sure what might have caused that unless it was damaged/weakened in the first place). The spool of 22ga PTFE wire (per the BOM) arrived Friday, and after depinning the original wire from the connectors at each end, I ran a new one from the X/Y endstop PCB to the breakout board in the electronics bay. Left most of the old one in place just because it was easier. Powered the machine up and it homed all axes, so it was a good fix. Still have to put all the the panels back together that I had to remove for access.

Also I am not sure now if LDO is sending me the correct harness anyway. I had forgotten about this, but the X/Y endstop PCB has its own 4 wire harness, separate from the 14 pin harness they said they would send me. But maybe it will all be included.

Also for the record, crimping these tiny JST connectors sucks ass.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Man I love this.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:19 pm Man I love this.
I still have that adapter I printed for you sitting on a bench... Need an address to send it to.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Found an ebay seller that had 1kg spools of the black Polymaker ABS I have been running in the Voron, for basically the 5kg spool price, and free shipping. Figured this would be a score since I could have the savings, without having to deal with the size of a 5kg spool, or make a spool holder for one. 5 kilos of red ABS showed up. Can't decide if I should be upset that it's not the black that I ordered, or happy at getting red for the 5 kilo price, since red is only sold on 1kg spools. Just not sure what I am going to do with 5 kilos of red...

[Edit; actually 6+ since I already had some. Guess I could start printing another Voron. :o ]

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

This may interest Net, at least - Elegoo is doing a Kickstarter for their newest FDM printer, with the frankly fantastic name of "Orangestorm Giga". The early bird price is $1250, 50% of MSRP...

Did I mention the build volume? No? Well, it's 800x800x1 meter. :shock:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... 3d-printer
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:42 pm I kind of like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaW8DIxWTc
Hands down my favorite is the Big Rep Pro we have at work... Which is actually in this video:
https://youtu.be/1W-7mjDB2gs?si=RVwbxeic6mMcMJtd

The downside is the price. That Elegoo can be had for two orders of magnitude less, with two thirds of the total build volume.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt