FT8 and other digital radio modes

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
SoupOrMan

FT8 and other digital radio modes

Post by SoupOrMan »

I thought I would get bored with it, but it turns out that digital modes have been the most consistent way for me to make contacts outside my local area. I really need to get JS8Call running for computer-to-computer messages, though. That seems like a great use for digital transmissions.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Re: FT8 and other digital radio modes

Post by randy »

So far I have DXCC on all bands 10-30, and 5BWAS using FT8. I doubt I would have done it as quickly using SSB (CW just does not interest me).

If you haven't already, check out GridTracker as a companion piece of software for WSJT-X for digital modes: https://gridtracker.org/

I have a friend of mine in Hawaii that really likes JS8Call, but I haven't played with it yet.

For key-board to Key-board you might look at VarAC; it builds on the VARA HF modem used in Winlink for standard connected QSOs. My first contact when playing with it was Ireland on 20M. https://www.varac-hamradio.com/

FT4 seems to be popular for contesting as you can do an exchange in half the time, thus more QSOs per hour. It nothing else it gets your heart pumping after getting used to the "sedate" 15 Second cycle of FT8.

Drop me a line sometime if you want to try to schedule a QSO
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Re: FT8 and other digital radio modes

Post by SoupOrMan »

Will do!
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds