ARRL Field Day

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
SoupOrMan

ARRL Field Day

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'll be on 40 and 80m as part of the evening crew for our local radio club. Some FT8 will be in there as well, but I really want to work on handling voice traffic.

I also hope the early morning crew get plenty of calls. Dead air at 0400 has to suck.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Re: ARRL Field Day

Post by randy »

Have fun!

Don't know if I'll go out this year or not. My closest club isn't doing anything and the other club is a bit of a drive at $5/gallon.

Club #2 has set up down to a science. They will be using club owned radios (IC-7300s) and have the antenna set up mapped out and know where everything goes.

Which kind of takes the fun out of it for me. I enjoyed showing up not knowing what gear we were going to have and then figure out how to get it
all put together and on the air by 2PM L Saturday.

The times I've done the night shift, the problem wasn't so much dead air as finding stations you hadn't worked yet. But you would occasionally get a new one popping up (somebody had to get up for a bathroom break and decided to jump on a radio instead going back to sleep) or as conditions change stations you could barley hear before are now workable.

When all else fails, you can always call CQ ;)

Good luck, and again, have fun!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Re: ARRL Field Day

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'll be running one of the club's 7300s, mostly because I'm still working on a battery system and solar power unit for my 7100. And then there's the antenna choices for a field setup...
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds