Google: secure alternatives

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Google: secure alternatives

Post by blackeagle603 »

Specifically, what you like as a (more) secure alternative to Google Docs and Sheets?

Currently I've gone to Brave and DuckDuckGo for default browser and search alternatives.
Signal for messaging.
Personal email transition to Protonmail is underway.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Re: Google: secure alternatives

Post by Weetabix »

How about https://owncloud.com/

Mojeek.com is supposed to be a pretty private search engine, but UK-centric.

Let us know how you like the protonmail. I've been thinking about it.

Thoughts on VPN's? I think last time I looked, I kind of liked NordVPN, but I can't remember for sure.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Been really liking protonmail. Haven't received a single spam e-mail on that account since I started using it early last year.

Also use Brave & DuckDuckGo, seems to working pretty well.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Protonmail has been fine thus far -- so far as I've used it. Still have a bunch of stuff coming to my gmail that I haven't update my address for.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:55 pm Protonmail has been fine thus far -- so far as I've used it. Still have a bunch of stuff coming to my gmail that I haven't update my address for.
That's been my hesitation. I've had gmail for as long as I can remember... well... since about 2009?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

The only major downside I’ve seen to DuckDuckGo vice #dontbeevil is the lack of penetration into forum content. Looking for DIY solutions to stuff that I know likely lives on various forums… they don’t come up in DuckDuckGo results. May just need to adjust my search terminology, but for everything else DDG is just as good, and not the G-nazis
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum