New Ham Antenna

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

New Ham Antenna

Post by randy »

Here's my NA4RR Hexbeam assembled and ready to (hopefully) go up the tower tomorrow.

5 band: 6-10-12-15-17-20 Meters. My antenna analyzer shows it pretty good across the bands, especially since it was sitting on the ground next to my truck and tilted over with some of elements actually touching the ground. Highest was 3.3:1 on 10M 0therwise pretty much 2.1:1 and under with most of the measure points under 2.0:1
Assembeled hexbeam 30Jul21 rs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Re: New Ham Antenna

Post by randy »

Hexbeam on the tower. Ran out of time so will be installing the rotor (a Yaesu G450a) and re-installing my A27010S 2M/440 Beam next week.

Analyzer (MFJ-259B) shows below 2:1 across all bands except for the top of the 10M band 2.1:1 at 29.7MHz and at the top of the 6M FM repeater section of the band at 4:1. It also shows below 2:1 across 2M.

I can live with that.
Hexbeam on Tower 31Jul21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

My first contact with this antenna was Lebanon on 20M. #94 towards DXCC.

Tried transmitting CQ on all bands and all were 1.2:1 or lower. I've also had DX stations contact me when I finish another QSO. Another first for me.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Those Hexxbeams are nice. I spoke to some of the hams from the local club on Friday and their club set one up on top of our old Red Cross HQ as part of a emcomm exercise. They loved it.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

If you decide to get one, I recommend NA4RR. Easy assembly, good instructions, and only two tools (7/16 wrench and a 1/4" nut driver). Good customer service. He quickly responded to my e-mailed questions both before and after purchase.

Price is very reasonable compared to other Hexbeams (some from companies with questionable QC and customer service reputations), and much cheaper than a standard beam, especially with 5 bands.

A deciding factor for me is my limited lot. This only has an 11FT turning radius. I was actually offered a 3 element beam (10-15-20M) for free, but the ends would be hanging over my roof over the neighbors drive way, and power lines.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Very nice - 2M as well! How high is it mounted?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

About 33 feet. Once the mast is raised to install the rotor and attach my dual-band (VHF/UHF) FM beam the Hex will be at about 40 Ft.
randy

Post by randy »

And we finished all the tower work today. Installed the rotor, re-mounted my 2M/440 beam, removed excess coax cables, and tested. Just need to route the control cable to my shack in the basement.
Antennas 2021 Annotated.jpg