My Ham Radio year

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: My Ham Radio year

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:27 pm Very impressive!

Can you tell us about your antenna? I've got a small yard, and I've not really figured out what to do for an HF antenna.
About 99% of my HF activity has been on a sloper wire antenna I received for free years ago when a friend was getting ready to move and cleaning out his equipment pile. He told me it was designed for 10-40M. But using my LDG tuner it has worked nicely on 6 and 80M as well. (I don't have any antennas for 160 and none of my gear works on 60M as they were all designed before US amateurs had access to that band.). Some work was done on an 80M Hamstick Dipole antenna I had up, but that came down a couple of weeks ago in preparation for putting up my new antenna (a Hexbeam)

The top is attached to the my tower at about 30Ft up, and is connected to my back fence at about 4 feet. The wire does not run the entire span, I have rope that attaches to the fence and and wire.
Sloper Ant 1.jpg
80M Hamstick Dipole.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Sloper Ant 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:27 pm
How about a picture of your shack?
Shack c g Feb2021 RS.jpg
Shack Radios RS.jpg
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Very nice!

The only place I have for a wire would make it run east-west. Great idea with the tower and fence. We're considering a fence on the west side, so maybe I could get something up that the grandkids wouldn't try to swing on.

I really, really can't wait for the end of the remodel. I have a corner of one room I could set up in, but the room is crowded with stuff taken from the rooms being remodeled. C'est la vie, I guess.

I have a couple of Yaesu's - and 857 and an 897 that needs a bit of work. I'll get there eventually.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

An East-West run with a Sloper or Dipole would give you a radiation pattern to the North and South, which would be oriented to give you good coverage of Europe and South America.