Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by blackeagle603 »

So in this case the coffee can is just used as the ground reference?

Several years ago i saw coffee can used for making a directional wi-fi antenna to extend range on a property along a selected azimuth,

There's a lot of hits on search now. To wit, this build
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 pm
Several years ago i saw coffee can used for making a directional wi-fi antenna to extend range on a property along a selected azimuth,
I have a direct tv dish I scavenged out of the trash, for exactly this purpose - I was thinking of putting the thing up on my roof on a trippod with an antenna rotator... :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:23 pm I'm also not sure of what I am doing wrong with APRS. I seem to be hitting all the local repeaters, but I'm not showing up on aprs.fi maps. I have used it already to send a test text via smsgte from my HT to my phone, so at least I know I have that option available to text others even if I'm out of cell coverage.
APRS works through Digipeaters, not repeaters. In order to show up on APRS.FI you need to get to an I-gate. Since your test text message went through it looks like you are hitting an I-gate so you are getting in somewhere.

I'm monitoring a SKYWARN activation right now but when I get a chance I'll post some basic parameters you should have.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

And according to APRS.FI you did get a position into the system 18 hours ago as of the time of this post.

Per the Station Info page this might be why you are not seeing yourself, if you have the map Zoomed in to where you think you ought to be:
Position ambiguous: Precision reduced at transmitter by 4 digits, position resolution approximately 69.0 miles.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

And per the info at the bottom of the Station Info page you were heard by two stations directly. They are listed as being approx. 20 miles away from your location, but given your apparent position ambiguity that should be taken with a grain of salt.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Thank you! I'll go through and check my GPS precision settings. I wasn't sure how fine to set them.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

From my settings in the MCP-D74: programming software:

Menu (GPS)

Position Ambiguity: Off

Operating Mode: Normal

Battery Saver; Auto
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I had Position Ambiguity set to 4 Places, so that's likely why it wasn't showing up properly. I have it set to off now and it's corrected.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Yep, showing updated location from about 2Hr ago.

The only time I've used position ambiguity is when helping set up a digipeater. Folks with expensive gear at remote sites don't always want to advertise, so we set the ambiguity to about 2 miles.

Close enough so that folks could use it for planning coverage but not so close that some jerk could use it to target the location. (and the fact the transmitted position was adjusted with malice aforethought so that ambiguity circle included a large portion of a secured area of a nearby AFB probably helped discourage casual snoopers).

With some sensitive facilities (or at least some of the folks working there were concerned) I've flat out lied and set the transmitted position so that it came up, for instance, 1/4 mile away, in the middle of a river.

And good luck DFing an APRS station with all transmitters on the same frequency and digipeaters replicating the signal you're trying to zero in on.
randy

Post by randy »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 pm Several years ago i saw coffee can used for making a directional wi-fi antenna to extend range on a property along a selected azimuth,

There's a lot of hits on search now. To wit, this build
I've seen something similar using Pringles cans