Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:28 pm It takes getting used to frequency vs. channel modes. The D74 has nothing like that for using programmed frequencies.
If I understand your point correctly the difference is that the D74 was designed as a ham radio by a company that has division that specializes in ham radio separate from the divisions that support Land Mobile Radio.

Ham radio operators have always thought in terms of frequencies not channels. Even repeater "channels" aren't, they are simply a frequency with an offset. In a different area the same frequency used by a repeater could have a different offset. They are pretty much standardized these days, but nothing is set in regulations, the default offsets are "more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules". It wasn't until the 60M band was opened for hams that we had a band that used actual defined channels rather than just frequencies.

Everything I've seen from the Chicom radios indicates that they were designed by people used to working with Land Mobile Radio, CB (including FRS) and Public Safety radios, which are channelized. The end users in those services usually don't have a clue what frequency they are actually using. Baofang and others simply modified their radios to work on amateur bands, but their advertising and what documentation I've seen makes me doubt they have many folks that know anything about ham radio, or really care.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I generally use channel mode for repeaters and frequency mode for simplex only. The GT-5R is handy, small, and lightweight compared to the D74, but you lose so much. It's the kind of radio you would give to a kid who just got his Tech license with the condition of "show me you can keep this radio running for two years without breaking it and we'll look at upgrades after that."
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

It's also a good one to throw in the go bag as a back up or (as I had happen once) when an Extra class ham shows up to a Public Service Event being run on 2 Meters, but he didn't own anything but HF Gear. The fact he could bring up MIDCARS on 40M in his car was great, but not really useful for our purposes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

So I forgot the first rule of volunteering: don't.

I'll be working once a month as the net control for a D-Star net as the guy who usually runs it just got his local ARES meeting times changed.

I'll be running the net on my D-74 unless I pick up another radio in the near future. I have a couple weeks to figure out Netlogger and LotW.

Well, I wanted to learn how to do this radio stuff...

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Ask your persecutor for a script, and listen to several nets carefully until then. And, good luck!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Been there, done that. I'm part of the Net Control rotation for our weekly ARES District net on VHF repeaters. Right now we are down to about 5 Net Control Operators. I also fill in occasionally on the County ARES Net and lost count of the number of times I've been NC for public service events.

I find that it is easier for me to write down check-ins on paper and then transcribe it into whatever form/software the Net requires. Locally we use either a spread sheet or word document to fill in and submit to the Net Manager.

I'm curious why a D-Star net would use LoTW. Since I assume your net is working through a Repeater, possibly linked by the internet to other repeaters, the contacts made there count for nothing towards any ARRL award. Frankly, I would not bother with it until you get to the point of starting to work HF. (or VHF/UHF such as weak signal, meteor scatter etc. which is all simplex, and usually SSB, again D-Star through a repeater does not count, and your current radio is not going to be a player)

Your choice for another D-Star radio is basically Icom.

I would assume you would be getting a mobile to act as a base station? Not much point in getting another HT when you already have one that will do the job IMHO.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It looks like Netlogger can with LotW, but not in the way I had thought during my initial read of the Netlogger docs. So, LotW isn't necessary.

I'm now trying to steel myself for buying an Icom 7100. I could just buy a 5100 for VHF/UHF only, but if I'm building a base station, I may as well add HF now, then look at backing it up with a mobile VHF/UHF later.

Ow, my wallet.

randy

Post by randy »

The IC-7100 is basically the follow-on to the IC-706MKIIG I have in the shack and truck. It would be what I would look at if I needed to replace one of mine.

When setting up your budget don't forget to include a good power supply.

I'm using an Astron VS-35M in the shack to run everything (706, and dual band VHF/UHF mobile, and a 2M mobile for APRS, as well as charging a back up battery through a Power Gate). It's been running 24/7 for over 10 years.

I got a deal on mine since it's case was dented during shipping to the dealer, so I got a new one for basically a used price. The power supply is one place where spending money up front is good long term investment.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'm trying really hard to ignore this thread. You guys aren't making it easy on an old E2-C avionics tech. ;)

The last thing I need is another gear rabbit hole to go down.

However after driving over 7K miles through the vast emptiness of the SW to Montana, Dakotas, Utah etc this past 8 weeks some mobile VHF and HF capability is looking pretty appealing.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BE - just buy a Baofeng to play with and get the very easy Tech license. I'm sure it won't lead to any unbearable expenditures... :twisted:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D