Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
SoupOrMan

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by SoupOrMan »

Cobar wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm Last time I went back to visit, I helped my dad string up some wire all around his property for an antenna. We a golf ball on fishing rod and cast it up where he wanted it. The fishing line worked well to draw the wire up.
Okay... now that is a great idea, and I have plenty of experience putting fishing line into trees!
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

One more thing: Is my tuner supposed to keep tuning as long as I have my PTT button pressed? I hear it clicking and switching every time I throw out my callsign and call CQ.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

No.

Once you tune up on a frequency, the tuner should not continue tuning once it has reached resonance. It should not need to retune even if you shift frequency within that band (except for some like 10M which is so wide) depending on how wide band your antenna is.

Generally I bring up a frequency, hit tune, the tuner does it's thing, and that's it until I switch to another band.

What band(s) is this happening on?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Looking back at this thread it looks like you are using the MFJ-993B tuner?

What do the meters show when this happens? What is the SWR meter on the radio showing?

Looking though their website you might consider setting the target SWR on the tuner to 2.0 vs the default of 1.0 (if you haven't already)

It could be that the tuner is not able to achieve a 1:1 match on your antenna, and setting it to 2.0 might cure the constant searching for a good match. Anything below 2:1 is acceptable for any modern HF rig.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The SWR meter and power meter both jump and eventually the digital readout shows the SWR at 1.0 with a forward power of .4 and a reflected power of 0. I think that's more due to the nature of SSB than anything. The needles jump to about the highest SWR & power, then settle down almost immediately.

I'll try switching it to 2 from 1 and see if that works.

I also managed to get on to the USTAW 40m net tonight. I made a couple of contacts, too. I received a guy in Virginia 5x9 but he couldn't my signal better than 2x1. Another guy got me 5x9 and I got his signal 5x7, but he's in Missouri so it might be a little easier there. This gives me an impetus to get my antenna raised up higher. I want to be 5x9 in at least the eastern half of the US.

randy

Post by randy »

On the SWR meter, is that while tuning, or just operating? Most radios put out 10 watts on tune up (using CW mode), and so you should be showing 10 Watts forward at the end of the tuning cycle. At that point the radio reverts to the mode and power level you have set in the radio.

Procedure should be: set frequency (or a clear one near where you want to talk, bad form tuning up on a net frequency for instance), hit your tune button, let the cycle complete, and then start your activity

At that point the tuner should not kick in again until you change band or make a significant frequency change.

On normal transmit with SSB the needle will bounce like the VU meter of an audio board because the output power peaks are going to vary with the peaks of your voice.

Don't get too obsessed chasing 5X9 reports. A lot of factors you have no control over; such as you don't know how good the antenna the other guy is using, or if it's pointing in your direction. Or his receiver might not be up to snuff. Or he might have a strong signal local to him interfering that you can't even hear. Time of day and propagation play a factor too.

On digital I've worked guys near each other consecutively where one reported a weak signal from me and the I was blowing the other guy away with my signal strength. Same antenna, radio and power on my end.

Good job on getting out there and making contacts.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm going to need to move my tuner and radio set around. I can't read the tuner where it sits.

Also, I decided to test for Extra this weekend. I hope I can get through it on the first try.

randy

Post by randy »

Good luck!
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

KiloDelta9erSierraXrayAlfa/AlfaEcho

randy

Post by randy »

Sierra Hotel!