Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:28 pm BE - just buy a Baofeng to play with and get the very easy Tech license. I'm sure it won't lead to any unbearable expenditures... :twisted:
Yeah! What he said! That's the Ticket! No financial danger here! :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:26 pm However after driving over 7K miles through the vast emptiness of the SW to Montana, Dakotas, Utah etc this past 8 weeks some mobile VHF and HF capability is looking pretty appealing.
Did that about 11 years ago. See picture below of Darlin' Daughter and I at Chimney Rock NE. She acted as scribe for me while mobile so I could transcribe my contacts into the log.

It was reassuring to be in a place with no cell coverage or even VHF amateur repeater range and still be talking with hams in adjoining states. The longest range contact I made while mobile was from South Dakota to a Cuban station on 20 Meters.
Chimney rock NE .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Weetabix wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:28 pm BE - just buy a Baofeng to play with and get the very easy Tech license. I'm sure it won't lead to any unbearable expenditures... :twisted:
Not a trap at all then? ;)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Oh no! Not a trap at all! Not compared to firearms. Nope. No way.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:51 pm
Not a trap at all then? ;)
Well, I already have the Baofeng.. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I put in the order today for an IC-7100. I also ordered a power supply from Alinco that can also run my D74 via a cigarette lighter adapter if need be, plus a Compactenna that runs 6m/2m/70cm and magnet mount for it. The Compactenna will go on a metal plate ground plane in my attic until such time as I can get better antennas mounted around my house. This should set me up for local nets and D-Star. I can reach out a little further with 6m when I want to as well.

Once I have that set up, building antennas for other bands will be less stressful.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Cool. The only thing I really don't like about the 7100 is that stupid L shape control head, which should not be an issue for base station use on a desk.

I'll be interested in how the Compactenna works. Hadn't seen that one before.

While you study for your General, you can throw up just about any length of wire to monitor HF on (such as the Hurricane Watch Net currently active on 7.268 MHz).
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm working on my Extra at the moment, but I'm intrigued by 6m due to EME, Sporadic E and meteor skip. There are a couple of 6m repeaters in the Chicago suburban area and I want to see if I can hit them from central Illinois.

randy

Post by randy »

Just be prepared for frustration and periods of silence on 6M. When it's open it's great. But I've seen signals from stations go from +5 to -24dB in less than a minute.

I picked up a lot of contacts earlier this summer on my sloper, but haven't been any able to work any new states or DX recently. Waiting for a band opening now that I have the Hexbeam up and going (tonight I had stations from Japan, Asiatic Russia and Kazakhstan calling me on 20M with good signal reports. Still amazes me).
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

My plan is to work my way from shorter to longer wavelengths, mostly due to space limitations for antennas.