Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by randy »

The main reasons I got my Extra were:

I was on a roll with CW after passing my General and figured I didn't want to have to start over to build my speed back up in the future (and then they dropped the code speed to 5WPM, and then dropped it altogether)

I can use any ham radio frequency and not worry about whether it's covered by my operating privileges'.

I can administer any level of exam as a VE (assuming I ever get back into that and recertify. it been a few years since any of the local clubs needed me)

I'll never have to take another ham radio exam again
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We need a thumbs up emoji.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The local VE coordinator did mention the General and Extra tests. If they have time, I definitely will take them. I like the idea of not stepping into the wrong frequency and causing problems.

The more I read about APRS, the more I like it. Being able to text people from my HT is a great bonus if I'm out of cell range. It might also make a good "Hey come find me" button if I get into trouble while fishing or on the road.

I like the "personal best" competitive nature of DXing as well. That's one of the reasons I'm also interested in CW. All in all, it reminds me of pushing oneself to be better in IPSC and IDPA matches.

I guess there really was a reason why we collected all of those metal coffee cans at work over the years: I needed a supply of antenna reflectors.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I think if you go that far with it, it's the law that you have to drive a junky mini truck with 7 antennas, a camper shell and/or ladder rack, and a license plate with your call sign on it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Well, I'm a rebel, I drive a 15 year old Trailblazer in good shape, with only 3 antennas a callsign plate
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:29 am I think if you go that far with it, it's the law that you have to drive a junky mini truck with 7 antennas, a camper shell and/or ladder rack, and a license plate with your call sign on it.
No, I'll do what one of the hams in my shop did when I was in the Air Force. I'll convert a white and habitually unwashed Jeep Eagle with six antennas and a sketchy New Mexico plate.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Well, I passed. I took the Technician and General tests today and passed both very nicely. I haven't studied much of the Extra material, so I didn't want to waste anyone's time by taking that test today.

Now I get to wait to be put on a list somewhere...

randy

Post by randy »

Whoo Hoo! Congratulations.

FB (Fine Business)

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I wasn't completely nervous about the test, but I did build a 2m antenna out of a coffee can on Thursday while waiting to take it. Now I just need to find a place to hang it. My back yard is a no go due to the utility lines overhead from power, phone and cable. So I'll try running it around the front and sides of the house before I add any permanent mounts.

randy

Post by randy »

I'd be interested in seeing the plans for the coffee can antenna.