Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 pm I'm also going to get into CW transmission, because tradition.
I got my Novice after passing my 5 WPM and my General after passing 13WPM. I was working on my 20WPM for Extra when they dropped the code requirement for all licenses to 5WPM and I handed in my paperwork from passing the theory test to upgrade. I was up to about 18WPM at the time.

I did it as it was a requirement not because I particularly enjoyed it. It was never easy for me and never came naturally the way it does for some folks. So now I don't use it.

That being said I know lots of folks that really enjoy working CW and keep using it decades after the code requirement was dropped. Some say the quality of the ops is better because everyone using it are folks that want to use it, not being forced into it. So if you get into it there will likely be someone out there to talk to (band conditions permitting).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I see CW much like cursive: anyone born after 1990 probably won't be able to read it. It may also get through on a band where voice won't do as well, so that gives me a better chance of being heard in an emergency.

Also, the radio came in today. I think I'll be doing some listening tonight as I try to figure out how to program it.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

There's that as well. I can put out an SOS and a position if needed. I just don't enjoy it.

Although anyone with an HF receiver and a computer program (such as the abovementioned fldigi) will be able to decode your CW signal even if they don't know code.

Let me know if you have any questions on the D74. One neat feature is that it has full HF and SW receive capability. (you will need to hook up an outside antenna to get full benefit: I use an SO239 to SMA connector to hook mine up to one of my HF antennas just for grins). You could use that feature to practice copying CW (the ARRL has daily code sessions) until you get an HF rig.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'm going through the quick user guide right now. I found TX Inhibit in one of the menus, so I hope turning that on will keep me from transmitting for the time being.

I like the idea of shortwave reception, too. I have a Grundig FR-200 that can't pick up squat even outdoors, and I think it also needs a new LED light.

I also found a site that makes toroid and clip-on ferrites for my power cords. I think that may help with all of my in-house radio reception.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Correct. Menu 110 on the radio. Set TX Inhibit ON and it will indeed prevent you from transmitting accidently until you get your license.

However, feel free to program in local repeaters etc. You can still listen all you want. (there are a couple of programming packages out there but I find the free stuff from the Kenwood site to be good enough for my needs)

You can use the radio to search for noise sources in and around your house. Set it to a frequency in the band you are interested in, take off the antenna, set the squelch to wide open, and you can see what the noise floor at that location is. Walking around and turning things on and off and watching the noise levels can help localize your noise sources. It will also help you quantify if the toroids and ferrites are doing any good.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

That was going to be my next question: should I pick up CHIRP or use the Kenwood software? Since you're using the Kenwood, I'll stick with that.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Things I have found out in one day:

So far the only chatter I'm hearing is the automated weather stations. I don't know if it's due to the antenna or not. I'll go for a quick jaunt around town to see if I can pick anything up.

The radio is very picky about what USB cable you use to hook it up to a PC to use the memory management software.

randy

Post by randy »

By "chatter" I assume you mean with APRS Weather Stations?

Some of that may be using the stock antenna inside. To see if how well you are hearing vs what is in your area, go to the APRS.fi website and zoom in on your area. Look for stations with a green star; those are digipeaters and if there is one close you should be good to go.

Be aware that some stations you see there may be internet only or DStar stations ported from the internet, so you would not be able to hear those with your radio.

Mine came with a cable (that had a ferrite bead on it) and that works fine for me. I've found the same cable for my Android phone and tablet work's with the radio. That being said I keep the factory supplied cable in a jump bag with spare batteries etc. so everything for that radio is in one place (actually the bag contains stuff for my Kenwood TH-D7 and TH-D72 as well, since a lot of the accessories work with all 3).
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

No, the actual NOAA weather stations. There was someone on one of the local repeaters who keyed something in earlier tonight via CW, but it was only for a few seconds.

The only thing that showed up in the box besides the radio was a battery, wall charger, and belt clip.

randy

Post by randy »

The CW was probably the repeater ID sending its calling. You will likely hear that periodically, possibly with occasional recorded voice IDs

Its probable that I'm confusing what came with the D72 with the D74