Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by randy »

You will need your callsign to register with the DStar system so that you can connect to it via RF

There may be ways to monitor over a computer but I never dug into it that far.

ETA: I am in no way shape or form a DStar expert, or even really a user (APRS, that I can help you with). You might contact the club that has the website you are using and see if you can get some local mentoring (known in the ham radio world has an "Elmer"). Most clubs are happy to help new folks get into the hobby.

If they are one of the few that have an attitude, well that's good to know as well.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I've noticed that I have lots of interference around my computer room. It's almost impossible to get the local repeater there.

Also, having the FM radio setup in the menu is nice as well. It's a nice way to "disguise" the radio at the office. No one even looks for it there if they hear a ball game or a news broadcast.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Computer power supplies can be noisy buggers. As can monitors. And LED lights. And florescent lights. And ... ;)

Ferrite beads on power cords and data cables might help.

Down the road you can look at putting an outside antenna up to get away from the noise. It doesn't even have to be outside. I know folks that put their VHF (or even HF) antennas in their attics.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Part of my house's attic was converted into a small workspace, so that would make a nice spot for an antenna. I'd put the shack up there as well, but getting up and down the steps is challenging. They're basically a glorified crew ladder when you consider how small the steps are and the 55-degree pitch of the steps themselves.

For an external antenna, I may lash something to my car port. Not sure yet.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

June 12 was the earliest I could get for my Tech license exam, so I'm studying until then, I guess. I've got my PO Box set up for the license address & a ULS number. Is there anything else I'll need for it besides the license fee?

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

"Part of my house's attic was converted into a small workspace"

I learned to reload in an attic workspace a neighbor man had set up. Great in winter, not so much in summer. Good memories.

Don't standup too fast -- or all the way. In retrospect was great postural training for being an inflight tech in E2-C's.
Last edited by blackeagle603 on Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

Make sure you have an ID (such as DL) as well with you.

If you think you'll need a calculator (probably not for Tech, but for General and Extra you might) take an actual non-programmable calculator. You won't be allowed to use one on a smart phone or tablet.

Extra pencils

That should be all you need for the actual test.
randy

Post by randy »

When you pass your Tech, they will probably offer to let you take the General test. Go ahead and do it, even if you haven't studied for it. If you pass that go ahead and try the Extra test. I know folks that went "from zero to Extra" in one test session.

It can't hurt, and I think that the VEs that charge only charge once per session, not per test. (the ones around here mostly use the Laurel VE and don't charge at all, but you have to work with what is in your area).

If nothing else, it will let you know how much studying it will take to get to General. I know folks that didn't think they had a shot and came within a few questions of passing, and then studied and upgraded the next month.
randy

Post by randy »

Oh, when closing in on the test, I found that taking an online practice test once9and only once) a day kept me focused on what to study without burning out.

It's also a confidence builder when you walk into the VE session after having passed the practice tests every day for the past week or so.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Practice tests are good.

I studied for Tech and General before I went in. Passed both. They encouraged me to take Extra. I did. I did not pass. Somehow, I haven't gotten interested enough in Extra to study or go back.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D