EV truck conversion

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

EV truck conversion

Post by blackeagle603 »

getting popcorn, watching to see if this gets any <ahem, pun alert> traction
Magna has announced a new EV drivetrain called the eBeam, which seems like the EV solution to ladder-frame pickups enthusiasts have clamored for. The drivetrain aims to drop into current body-on-frame trucks replacing the internal combustion drivetrain, and leaving behind a fully capable EV truck.
RTWT
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Captain Wheelgun

Re: EV truck conversion

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I remember hearing about so-called EV “crate motors” a couple of years ago, they would connect to the transmission in place of the IC engine and you would put the batteries in place of the fuel tank.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I have no doubt that they can come up with a drop in drive train replacement. That's just engineering. The problem with EV's is the expense of the short lived batteries and the infrastructure needed to support charging those batteries on a regular basis. As much as the greenies want to push electric vehicles, they don't want to admit that they're gonna have to build a lot more coal and nuclear power plants to support that EV on a large scale.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've got enough panels on the roof to make it up on sunny days late spring thru early fall here in SoCal.
And space for more (but would need an inverter upsize, or additional in parallel) if I wanted to spend the bucks to go there.

The battery costs are the big pill to swallow though (still).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

There’s a company in Austin doing conversions.

My brother and I were talking about it for fixing up our grandfathers ‘77 F100.

Just seems to make more sense for something which will be an occasional grocery getter than trying to replace the engine and keep it in tune.
Captain Wheelgun

BDK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:24 pm There’s a company in Austin doing conversions.

My brother and I were talking about it for fixing up our grandfathers ‘77 F100.

Just seems to make more sense for something which will be an occasional grocery getter than trying to replace the engine and keep it in tune.
I think EVs make great second cars, but I don’t want one as my only one.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

tfbncc wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:10 am I have no doubt that they can come up with a drop in drive train replacement. That's just engineering. The problem with EV's is the expense of the short lived batteries and the infrastructure needed to support charging those batteries on a regular basis. As much as the greenies want to push electric vehicles, they don't want to admit that they're gonna have to build a lot more coal and nuclear power plants to support that EV on a large scale.
There's enough infrastructure to power EVs for the nomenklatura. The rest of us ride bicycles.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm I remember hearing about so-called EV “crate motors” a couple of years ago, they would connect to the transmission in place of the IC engine and you would put the batteries in place of the fuel tank.
No,no, no, no no, no!

It's bad enough to go through a rear differential, and the resulting parasitic losses, but to add a completely superfluous transmission as well?

No.

On another note, I'm surprised you don't hear anything about Kei trucks getting an EV conversion, particularly the Suburbs with their rear engines,(making them ideal as the electric motor bolt right to the transaxle). By both Legislation(they're pretty much banned from highways in every state, and more than a couple from public roads altogether) and design, their a short range vehicle, mitigating one of the biggest downsides - range.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Captain Wheelgun

HTRN wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Captain Wheelgun wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm I remember hearing about so-called EV “crate motors” a couple of years ago, they would connect to the transmission in place of the IC engine and you would put the batteries in place of the fuel tank.
No,no, no, no no, no!

It's bad enough to go through a rear differential, and the resulting parasitic losses, but to add a completely superfluous transmission as well?

Snip.
I never said it was a good idea, only that I had heard about it.
BDK

Post by BDK »

It makes a good option for lots of vehicles. We would have done it to the hot rod, had it been around back then... Admittedly the burbling “Truck of Death” is more entertaining than the idea of a humming one...