Well, well, well (water)

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Re: Well, well, well (water)

Post by Weetabix »

1.5 gpm w/ X ft drawdown means that while pumping at 1.5 gpm, the water dropped in the casing X feet. It's used as a measure well efficiency, I think. The less the drawdown, the more water there is available. Drawdown is kind of like the "divot" you see in the water surface of the tub when you're draining it.

Repeated measurements over time can help diagnose well problems, too - clogged well screens, depleted aquifer recovery, and such.

I'm not sure what the "in 1/4" means. Pump tests normally have a number of data taken. This sounds like one data point.

Edit to add: Maybe they had emptied the casing, and that was the sustainable rate they got out of the well? After 1/4 hour, maybe? Just guessing.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

If it is like other well reports I have seen then yes the 1/4 should be 1/4 hour (15 mins)

Not too sure about the rest but it looks like they got some low quality water at 235' and finally good water at 455'. Finally stopped at 525'.
Termite

Post by Termite »

8 inch casing is pretty large for domestic well purposes. At least here in Louisiana.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Termite wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:38 am 8 inch casing is pretty large for domestic well purposes. At least here in Louisiana.
Well that's a feature then, not a bug.

I suspect he may be feeding that stockpond some. Got a closer look at some photo. It's long and narrow 5 acres. About a 6:1 aspect ratio. Narrow along the 2 lane out front.
Near as I can tell there's a bit of an upslope toward the rear of the lot beyond the stock pond. A bit of minor terraforming and some swales might improve on that catchment. Keep the flow within the long lines of the property and hold for trees with swales.

Looks like some good permaculture food forest potential there. He's got a feeder and stand out that way on the property.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story