Ham Radio Question

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Jered

Ham Radio Question

Post by Jered »

So, I'm looking to start messing around on 6 meters with JS8 and/or Olivia.

Anyone have a recommendation for a 6 meter radio for that?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rustyv

Re: Ham Radio Question

Post by Rustyv »

What’s your budget?
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm figuring on $600 or so for the radio.
randy

Post by randy »

My first pass is that with that budget you're looking for used.

Most of the radios I am familiar with that have 6M are also HF, and most of those that I am aware of start in the $1K region. Some of the newer ChiCom radios might fit your criteria, but their quality seems to be iffy from user reports I've heard or read.

If you can find a good used IC-706 and get a SignaLink it wold work well on the digital modes. Bought my shack 706 used and factory refurbed (it had been the dealer's Demo unit) for around $600 ten years ago.

I've been using it (IC-706MKIIG with a SignaLink) to work FT8 and since July I've gotten WAS and have 72 confirmed DX contacts using 40W and a sloper antenna on HF. It does 6M but I don't hear a lot of activity (probably since my antenna is only designed for 10-40). I have however made one confirmed 6M contact in Florida from Ohio, so when the band is open, it's open.

Given that you can purchase an IC-7300 for around $1K if you shop deals, used stuff is having to drop their asking price to be competitive.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

I've found a Yaesu FT-891 for $640. I just rounded down.
randy

Post by randy »

That should work, although I have no experience with the FT-891.

IIRC I think you will still need an audio interface (either home brew or something like a SignaLink) for digital modes.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

That's what I was leaning towards because I don't want a Chicom radio for that.

According to the JS8 call website, the FT-891 has a USB port on the back of the radio, so it might not need a SignaLink.

The worst that can happen is that I spend more money. :P
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Couple of friends have FT-891s and love them. Pretty damn good all band radio and hard to beat for the price.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
randy

Post by randy »

I think the USB port is for CAT control of the radio. Which is still a helpful feature. My 706 has a serial interface (with a serial to USB convertor) to control the radio. I run it in parallel with the SignaLink which allows the WSJT-X software to automatically tune the radio as needed.

I don't think radios of that vintage had a built in sound card interface.
Jered

Post by Jered »

The FT-891 might, but, I don't know.