recommend a decent desktop printer

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Greg

Re: recommend a decent desktop printer

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote: Very small data sample, but a Canon Pixma color inkjet served me pretty well for a short time before I didn't need it any more. It was only $50, and I suspect it was intended to promote buying ink. I mostly used it as a scanner/fax.
That's what all inkjets are for. They pretty much give the hardware away.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Otherwise, for color, just buy one of the HP photosmart printers, and look on it as disposable.
I suppose you could bag the ink cartridges when you're not using them. Might need to wipe something inside the printer down with some of those diabetics' alcohol wipes when you take the cartridge out.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We need a "jaw drops" smiley.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:We need a "jaw drops" smiley.
You don't want to know what'll happen to you if you mess with those chips, either. (Actually I think that one's on its way to the Supreme Court.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Is it like those ink bombs they put in sacks of stolen bank money? Let me tell you, that stuff is hard to get out of clothing. And it stings your eyes.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:Is it like those ink bombs they put in sacks of stolen bank money? Let me tell you, that stuff is hard to get out of clothing. And it stings your eyes.
No it's a DMCA violation and they may attempt to prosecute you.

I believe the current legal status is you *can* try to work around the chip and not be guilty of a felony, but it's still in the courts and I think it really is headed for the Supremes.

And I'm not really sure if I want to know how you had a die pack blow up on you. :shock:

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:And I'm not really sure if I want to know how you had a die pack blow up on you. :shock:
Did you ever watch Corner Gas, and they had those vivid daydream sequences? It was kind of like that. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:And I'm not really sure if I want to know how you had a die pack blow up on you. :shock:
Did you ever watch Corner Gas, and they had those vivid daydream sequences? It was kind of like that. :P
Huh. Never even knew it existed until you just mentioned it. Google at least tells me what it is, but not too much more than that. If it's Canadian humor I'll just assume it's like other Canadian humor I've seen, which is really weird but in an oddly non-threatening way. And yes, I enjoy that. I might have to check it out.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We liked it so much we bought all the seasons on DVD. The kids (teenagers) make visitors watch it until the visitors either join in loving it or hang themselves. Youtube has a lot of it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:There is no such thing as a decent desktop printer. They are all some degree of awful.

To get a decent printer you have to buy a business class printer. A small monochrome laser for the majority of printing is the best value and reliability.
My current printer is an HP 2100dn that I bought off Ebay a dozen years ago. It is awesome.... Sometimes it grabs an extra sheet of paper, or jams if I let the trays get low, but mostly it kicks ass. The only problem with it is it is huge. Was wondering if there is a decent, smallish laser that would fit on a shelf, or the top of my desk without taking up too much room?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop