3D printing a gun

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Jered

Re: 3D printing a gun

Post by Jered »

I want a von Neumann machine.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I think a piece of the fascination is the 'open source' connection. A generic 3D printer can make things from 'open source/public domain' plans, bypassing trademark/copyright restrictions. And you can quietly and in the privacy of your (well equipped) home shop have a computer driven device make something that would otherwise be encumbered by government or society.

You can buy all the parts you need to complete a 3D-printed gun frame/receiver without paperwork or going through an FFL, and its easier for someone to do that than to use a home/hobby machine tool setup to finish an 80% receiver blank.

That said some of the long-hair hippie-freak open source true-believer agitators are having a cow over 'evil guns' and open source ;)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rich Jordan wrote:I think a piece of the fascination is the 'open source' connection.
I think it's more the fact that one doesn't need to learn the rather daunting aspect of machine shop practice. It's somewhat accurately seen as "push button, recieve bacon". :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Eden has, often, been viewed as freedom from work, rather than toil. - man's been chasing "push button, receive bacon", ever since.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Monportlaser

Post by Monportlaser »

Can't agree more. [Spam Link Deleted]

Lowlife Scumbag Spammer (but I repeat myself) banned.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I now want a 3d printer, more specifically a DLP resin printer(I'm looking at you Elegoo Saturn S), mainly for hobby use(Yay cheap wargaming minis). The other reason is the availability of printable casting resin - combine with a spin caster, and diy jewelry becomes a possibility..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I find that I am mainly using my printers to print parts and accessories for themselves.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:53 pm I find that I am mainly using my printers to print parts and accessories for themselves.
Gone full von neumann eh?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Combat Controller wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:53 pm I find that I am mainly using my printers to print parts and accessories for themselves.
Gone full von neumann eh?
That was an interesting trip down the Wikipedia rabbit hole. The printers I am using originated from Adrian Bowyer's RepRap project, but same overall idea, yes.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29800
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Groovy!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.