this one goes out to the watch guys out there....

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
rightisright

Re: this one goes out to the watch guys out there....

Post by rightisright »

Going by percentage off MSRP is NOT a good way to shop for anything. Invicta puts an insanely high MSRP on their watches.

Here's one at Amazon that's $24 less than World of Watches: http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1768-Dive ... +Dial+1768
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

rightisright wrote:Going by percentage off MSRP is NOT a good way to shop for anything. Invicta puts an insanely high MSRP on their watches.

Here's one at Amazon that's $24 less than World of Watches: http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1768-Dive ... +Dial+1768
I tend to look at actual price charged vs. actual price charges. They can call MSRP anything they want.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

rightisright wrote:Going by percentage off MSRP is NOT a good way to shop for anything. Invicta puts an insanely high MSRP on their watches.

Regardless of what the markup is, the MSRP is the same across the board for retailers...How much off they sell it for depends on their profit point and what they actually pay for the piece--which varies by volume...If retailer A has it for 25% off, B for 33% off and C for 80% off, which do you think most will be shopping at.

The old adage of, "You can sell goods only by two means--a lot for a little or a little for a lot"!
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

While I'm thinking of it, I have a 1951 Bulova wristwatch that needs a new crystal and some other repairs (it is spectacularly accurate when it's working properly -- I used it 20 years ago for navigating on the Great Lakes in my folks' old Matthews sedan cruiser). I've had the crystal replaced twice previously, but they seem to knock off awfully easily. If, as, and when I get to it, what do I want?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I never could make up my mind, so I got this one and this one.

Figured if I can't find just what I want, I might as well have variety.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

When the NVA grabbed my brother they glommed onto the Seiko his buddy was wearing but practically threw away the really nice Waltham he was wearing. About like this one. The senior NCO put both on his arm along with his cheap watch and made a big show of it keeping his sleeve up and forearm visible.

It's not the class of watch you all are talking here but a far better watch than the Seiko. Funny how the name/branding thing plays into it even at that level.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Speaking of vintage Walthams, here's one you don't see every day

This a rally watch or something?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You remind me that I have a Waltham. I like it, but I'm a bit scared to carry it much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Sweet! That an official railroad model?

SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Weetabix wrote:I never could make up my mind, so I got this one and this one.

Figured if I can't find just what I want, I might as well have variety.
That justified my purchases until my wife got upset when I brought the one above into the bedroom--her comment; Don't you think thirty is enough--not because of the amount of watches but that they're taking up a whole drawer in the chiffonier that she wants for her collection of "dainties".

I store them in their cases, if manual or battery, self winders go in the "minder"...Battery models I pull the stud so they won't draw any power and every month I turn them back on for a day to keep the internals working.

Both are classic faces (dials) and would look good on any man's wrist, provided it is a fairly large wrist for the chrono...Wear well!
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!