3D printing a gun

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: 3D printing a gun

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:47 am This thing?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 26535.aspx

I don't remember having seen it before.
The version I remember was made of steel and had two u bolts on it.

Personally, I think electroetching is a better way to go these days.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Ran across this; it looks useful so I am going to give it a shot out of ABS on the Voron.

https://www.printables.com/model/385416 ... -223556300
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I wonder how that would hold up made out of PLA or PETG.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

What is it? I get a login requirement because it's "nsfw"
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:03 am What is it? I get a login requirement because it's "nsfw"
Sorry, hadn't realized that wouldn't let you look at it without registration. It's a magazine loader for 300BLK and 5.56 AR magazines. Has a hopper that you dump cartridges into, and it lines them up and feeds as you push the plunger to shove them into the mag. I have printed a couple of the pieces so far and it seems relatively beefy. I think PETG with a decent amount of perimeters and infill would probably be fine. Would take forever on a standard printer because the parts are big, but do-able on the Voron. I am using a 0.4mm nozzle but I think a larger size would also be fine, and definitely faster. I'll post a picture of it when it is done.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I think I have posted here in the past about the version of this I machined out of delrin on my lathe, but here is a printable adapter for feeding 300blk cases to a Lee APP press, from a Dillon electric case feeder. I use it for swaging primer pockets:

https://www.printables.com/model/508549 ... for-300blk

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 am Ran across this; it looks useful so I am going to give it a shot out of ABS on the Voron.

https://www.printables.com/model/385416 ... -223556300
Finally finished up this thing that I found on Printables.com...

Supposed to be a magazine loader. Kind of sort of works, some of the time. The last guy to review it on Printables gave it a 5 star review, so hopefully it is working better for him than it did for me. I may futz with it some more later, but I am not holding out much hope.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I was a little surprised that this tool worked, and it appears to work well. It's a brake pipe straightener:

When you buy brake pipe, it comes rolled up, and you have to straighten it out, and then bend it to the contours needed. This is mostly a tool for doing automotive restoration work. I had assumed it was intended for use with cupro-nickel brake line (which is easier to bend), but it doesn't seem to have any trouble at all with steel.

Edit: Forgot the link.

https://www.printables.com/model/239789 ... raightener

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Thanks, NPR. I'm going to make one of those for sure.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Nice thing was I had all the bearings left over from another project, so I just had to buy the nuts, bolts and washers.