3D Printer (Prusa Bear Mod) Build

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: 3D Printer (Prusa Bear Mod) Build

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am When I owned a lawn company. I learned that MANY do not understand basic accounting nor do they account for replacement cost of their equipment. Those tools tended to stay in business long enough to keep the price depressed. Then the new guy would drop the price so he could gain market share on a product being sold at a loss.

The smart people bought the equipment and accounts (at a huge discount) after the tool folded.
My brother briefly took a stab at starting a lawn care company - too much competition, from too many sources, and far too many taking shortcuts - no license, no insurance, using personal vehicles, illegal alien labor, etc. He gave up after two years of beating his head against the wall. It boiled down to too low a barrier to entry. Fencing companies are in a similar situation.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:58 am It boiled down to too low a barrier to entry.
Bingo. There are people making a good living 3d printing stuff, but most of them seem to offer something unique or value added, be it product or service. Saw a video by a guy who runs a "pay to print" service printing things for other people. That's a fairly competitive field, but where most print farmers tend to standardize on one (or very few) types of machine to simplify maintenance and logistics, this guy had a wide array of different printers. His whole schtick was that if it could be printed, he could print it.

In the case of my tool rack parts, I had looked at the stuff on Ebay some time ago, and it wasn't really what I was after in terms of organization, so I ended up doing my own. It would easily be the most expensive setup on the market (user would have to buy v-slot 2040 rails plus hardware in addition to the printed parts, and would be on their own for mounting the rails), and I don't think that it being more versatile and not locked in to one type of import lathe would really make up for that. I'm 99% certain at this point that once all the pieces I have drawn so far are fully tested (I drew up one a little while ago that I haven't printed yet and thus haven't fit checked), I am just going to load them up on Printables as open source, non commercial license. And maybe make it just a little harder for those other guys to sell theirs. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Red Bearon:

This is not a new printer; rather this is my first printer (Prusa Mk3S+), having received a frame transplant. Last year I milled an extra set of extrusions while I had the mill set up for it, and they've been sitting on a shelf since then. Decided to go ahead and do the Bear frame upgrade on the original printer, along with the improved Bear X-axis and extruder. I used an E3D Revo hot end similar to what I have in the Voron, so they both use the same nozzles. Was going for a Red Baron theme, but what I wound up with is somewhere between that, and Eddie Van Halen's guitar.

A couple months ago Prusa released their Mk4 printer, which is substantially upgraded. There are kits coming to upgrade the earlier printers, but they are nearly the cost of the new printer, so they don't make a lot of sense to me. At this point if I needed another printer I'd be more likely to do another Voron, and I need another printer about as much as a hole in the head. So the most logical thing was to make the 3S+ as good as it could be for minimal cost, and leave it at that.

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

looks good