3D Printer (Prusa Bear Mod) Build

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Netpackrat

Re: 3D Printer (Prusa Bear Mod) Build

Post by Netpackrat »

Alive and printing!
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:39 am Of course one thing that should have occurred to me earlier, is that once I have two printers up and running, my current monitoring solution of a standard baby monitor probably isn't going to cut it anymore. I could buy another one, but as far as solutions go it's not something that really scales.

There's an app called Octoprint for controlling 3d printers, which runs on a raspberry pi, and supports a webcam and a lot of other cool features. The printers have support for adding the pi board but I figured I would get around to it eventually... Maybe sooner rather than later now. One of the cool things Octoprint can do is detect when it thinks a print is going bad, and then message you asking whether you want to discontinue it or not.
Have the Bear pretty much tuned now, simul-printing at the other end of the workbenches from the stock Prusa. Had some weird vertical effects that I think were caused by some roughness in the motion on the X despite my having used the "good" linear bearings. I undid the X belt and worked it back and forth while putting more grease on the rods and it seems to have smoothed out, and the effects appear to be gone from the prints.

Ordered a Raspberry Pi 4B today along with some other stuff, so I need to set one of the printers to making a case for it. If I can get it set up and working with Octoprint on the Bear I will look into setting up the 3S+ the same way.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Interesting
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Just installed the "Delta P" fan and shroud mod on the extruder. This required printing a new extruder cover from PETG and the new fan shroud out of ASA. This was supposedly designed with the aid of CFD software for better cooling, but the main reason I wanted it was because it gives better visibility at the print head (Bear extruder is particularly bad in this respect with the original fan configuration). Plus, it is one of those rare extruder mods that doesn't require completely disassembling the entire extruder. I will be doing the same thing with the Prusa soon (parts already printed).

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

This part of the project turned out relatively well. I added a Raspberry Pi 4B running Octoprint so I could have a dedicated camera on the printer for monitoring purposes. This also adds a huge amount of functionality in that I can control the printer from my computer over the wireless, although that was a secondary goal.

Most of the printed parts were downloaded from Printables, but there are a few items that I had to draw up myself in CAD to make it work the way I wanted it to.

https://www.printables.com/social/27244 ... ons/193963

Precision

Post by Precision »

really cool. Now pack it all up and send in my direction. Lol

With my new buhurt hobby, 3d printing is not in my future. Building wearable armor, shields and weapons is.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Used some of the left over V-slot rail from the printer build to add accessory racking to the chip tray of my lathe, for 3d printed holders for my most commonly used chuck keys, and for my MT3 accessories for the tailstock. I put some slot cover in the gaps so they won't fill up with chips.

Trying to decide if I want to bother with running some of these up the Ebay flagpole to see if anyone salutes, or just put the .stl files on Printables or something.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah I am glad I was just making the tool holders for myself. There's plenty of competition on ePay already and they've priced their stuff so low I am not sure how any of them are making any money at it. I guess if you have a dozen Ender 3s going you could probably eke out an income at it, but then you have to keep a dozen Ender 3s running. The astounding thing is that one of the sellers there has clearly put a lot of design work into his product (solving the same basic problem but in a different way from mine), but it seems to me that he's practically giving his stuff away.

Precision

Post by Precision »

When I owned a lawn company. I learned that MANY do not understand basic accounting nor do they account for replacement cost of their equipment. Those tools tended to stay in business long enough to keep the price depressed. Then the new guy would drop the price so he could gain market share on a product being sold at a loss.

The smart people bought the equipment and accounts (at a huge discount) after the tool folded.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am When I owned a lawn company. I learned that MANY do not understand basic accounting nor do they account for replacement cost of their equipment. Those tools tended to stay in business long enough to keep the price depressed. Then the new guy would drop the price so he could gain market share on a product being sold at a loss.

The smart people bought the equipment and accounts (at a huge discount) after the tool folded.
We had a couple guys like that on the airport here 15+ years ago, and unfortunately they managed to get their hands on some real capital, and proceeded to fuck up the entire market for contract aircraft maintenance for several years. The music finally stopped for them, and their company was foreclosed upon by their major creditor lock, stock and barrel. Once grown ups were in charge of the business end of the company, normalcy began to return, but it took several years. They're still basically the field's bottom feeder.

Edit to add one of Murphy's Laws of Combat that seems applicable:

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs who are dangerous.