Solar underperforms

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Re: Solar underperforms

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'm out on my paddle board in marinas and anchorages around San Diego and Coronado. I see a lot of wind generators as well.

Like Npr suggests, but with a wind generator as well. One is none, 2 is one... Belt, suspenders, rope, duct tape.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah the channel I mentioned (Delos) has a couple of wind generators, along with a permanently mounted diesel generator and lots of solar. With a big enough boat you've got the space to have plenty of options for power. A few years ago when they were crossing the Indian ocean they even dragged a towed generator due to some problem with another part of their charging system. From what I remember, they usually only run the genset when they need enough power to operate their dive compressor or water maker.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

TMK, most of the serious yachts these days, have Z pods. Lets them have one engine, and a large generator, and still have the redundancy of 2 engines. Significantly reduces their fuel usage. Z pods, of course also greatly improve the maneuverability.

I see some sailing yachts with the same set up.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Some of the ships in the story I’m writing are Diesel-electric, with multiple generators and motors, but at a mid-1930s tech level. I’m thinking about having them use lead-acid batteries as part of their ballast, for emergency power.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:31 pm TMK, most of the serious yachts these days, have Z pods. Lets them have one engine, and a large generator, and still have the redundancy of 2 engines. Significantly reduces their fuel usage. Z pods, of course also greatly improve the maneuverability.

I see some sailing yachts with the same set up.
You're probably not going to see anything like that on the size or price range of boats that I am talking about though. Bow thrusters on some of the larger ones, but that's about it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Factbox: Electric-vehicle batteries: major players and their expansion plans

SEOUL, Oct 22 (Reuters) - The global auto industry's shift to electric vehicles (EVs) has spurred an expansion race among battery makers and led to a growing skills shortage. read more

Global EV sales, estimated at 2.5 million vehicles in 2020, is forecast to grow more than 12-fold to 31.1 million by 2030 and account for nearly a third of new vehicle sales, according to consulting firm Deloitte.

Here are major players' expansion plans in key EV markets of China, the United States and Europe.
RTWT
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:31 pm TMK, most of the serious yachts these days, have Z pods. Lets them have one engine, and a large generator, and still have the redundancy of 2 engines. Significantly reduces their fuel usage. Z pods, of course also greatly improve the maneuverability.
Basically anything bigger than 50 feet, with the exception of gofast boats, is at least offering a pod option ..

They make maneuvering big boats vastly easier, especially combined with bow thrusters. What they did don't tell you is they cost vastly more than a traditional inboard setup, both to install, and to repair. They also need deeper water as the pod hangs much farther down than an inboard prop.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt