Ham Radio: Clear Frequency Requests for emergency traffic

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Ham Radio: Clear Frequency Requests for emergency traffic

Post by randy »

IARU requests clear frequencies for amateur support to Canary Island volcano : 3.760 MHz; 7.110 MHz; 14.300 MHz, and 21.360 MHz.
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/radio-ama ... c-eruption

Clear Frequencies Requested for Possible Nicaragua Earthquake Traffic 7098 and 7198 kHz
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/clear-fre ... ke-traffic
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Re: Ham Radio: Clear Frequency Requests for emergency traffic

Post by Weetabix »

Minor question: Why is it 7098 kHz, 7.110 MHz, and 7198 kHz? I'm guessing it can't be a frequency break point like USB and LSB or repeater offsets.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

There is no technical or operational reason.

MHz and KHz are used interchangeably on HF. As long you set the decimal point correctly it does not matter (for instance 7.110 MHz is 7110 KHz). I simply kept the format used in each of the two announcements.

In some cases folks are just used to using what is displayed on their radio. For instance in my case (IC-706MKIIG) all the bands display in MHz, so 7098 KHZ shows as 7.098 on my radio display. Some older HF only radios display in KHz.

Also, note that one announcement came from a Nicaraguan radio authority, and the other from Spain, so it might be a difference on how they normally notate frequencies.

Depends on what you are used to. Just make sure you put the units on it for clarity.

Oh, and no repeaters on HF below 28MHz, and Upper Side Band/Lower Side Band is set by convention per band and mode. (Everything above 10MHZ is USB, everything below is LSB, except for digital modes like FT8 that operate USB on all bands)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen it elsewhere.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Ah. Makes sense.
randy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:16 am Oh, and no repeaters on HF below 28MHz, and Upper Side Band/Lower Side Band is set by convention per band and mode. (Everything above 10MHZ is USB, everything below is LSB, except for digital modes like FT8 that operate USB on all bands)
I know. It was an analogy to illustrate the question. <-- that sounds grumpy. It's not. I just have a headache and can't word right. :geek:
randy

Post by randy »

Understood. On the other hand some folks (such as SoupOrMan) might not know it, so better to have it here and you can ignore me as needed.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Yeah. I'm having a "I can't brane" day. :lol: