Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Re: Taking the plunge into Ham Radio

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:04 pm I'd be interested in seeing the plans for the coffee can antenna.
Me, too. I've not heard of such a thing.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It's supposed to use the bottom of the coffee can as a ground plane. I tried listening with it and it works decently, though I don't have an analyzer to see where it tunes best.

Here's a PDF that works on a similar model, the Cookie Can Antenna: http://www.w6nbc.com/articles/2013-QSTcookie.pdf

And here's a link to the 2m Coffee Can Antenna from Youtube, where I first saw it: https://youtu.be/Vr7vSu1PBLw

Also, the license came in this morning.

kilodeltaninersierraxrayalfa
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Congrats on the call. Let me know when you get something going on HF and we can arrange a sked. In the meantime I'll be looking for you on APRS.

I've heard of using a pizza pan or refrigerator as a ground plane (or, per the article, capacitance hat), but not a cookie or coffee can. Article saved. Thanks.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:39 pm I don't have an analyzer to see where it tunes best.
At some point, especially when you move to HF, you are going to want to get an analyzer.

In the meantime a good SWR meter is not that expensive and will serve you for years.

here's one that I have. I've been using it for over 20 years in the field and the shack. You can get cheaper models that only do VHF/UHF, but I was a Tech+ at the time and was already planning on HF ops.

Be on the look out for used gear. I've acquired multiple SWR meters over the years cheap or free.

Analyzers are very handy to have, but you can do a lot with just a meter. Just remember to start out at the lowest power setting when checking a new antenna.

My analyzer is a older version of this MFJ unit. Mine doesn't do 220 or 440.

A lot of folks are picking up Nanova analyzers Not as simple to use as a meter or even the MFJ unit, but it can do a lot more and it's hard to beat the price.

Here's a video about it. The Ham Radio Crash Course (HRCC) channel is a good time sink to learn about a lot of stuff. Much of it is geared to new hams but enough detail to keep Old Farts like me interested.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Next step is finding a good HF rig, mostly for mobile. I kind of want something I can hike with in addition to my HT.

Then there's building a tape-measure Yagi, hitting satellite transponders, and all the socializing...

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Yep, lots of branches you can explore. Just remember you don't have to do all of the at once, and you don't have to do one to the exclusion of others.

If I read you right and you a re looking for HF that you can take with you on the trail, 2 current rigs that a lot of folks I know like the following:

Icom IC-705

XIEGU G90

They both seem to be popular with folks participating in Parks On The Air (POTA)
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I looked at those and the Yaesu FT-818 and FT-891. The 818 seems underpowered compared to the others.

I'm also looking through the D-Star functions on my D74 to see how to set it up if there's any digital voice traffic in town.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Here's the can antenna. It's got a 19 1/2 inch piece of 14-gauge house wire for the vertical, soldered into a SO-239 connector. So far it works for both 2m and 70cm. When I get the chance, I'll take it out for a distance check. It's mounted it on a 7-foot piece of scrap PVC that was in the house when I moved in. I drilled a hole about halfway down the pipe for coax cable access, then drilled out some more holes closer to the bottom to use wire sign hangers as supports. I put a coat of Rust-O-Leum forest green paint on the can for some extra rust resistance, then covered the SO-239 connector with hot glue for some waterproofing. I'll likely spray the PVC pipe when I get the chance to make it less noticeable.

The picture was taken at night with not the best lighting conditions, so it's really washed out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randy

Post by randy »

Cool!

Ask around the local Ham clubs and see if anyone has an analyzer or SWR meter you can borrow. I'd be interested to see the numbers.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I will also likely switch out the 6' RG-8X cable I was using to connect my HT to the antenna for a 15' line of the same stuff. I can move it farther away if need be.

I'm also not sure of what I am doing wrong with APRS. I seem to be hitting all the local repeaters, but I'm not showing up on aprs.fi maps. I have used it already to send a test text via smsgte from my HT to my phone, so at least I know I have that option available to text others even if I'm out of cell coverage.

There is also apparently a D-Star net hosted by a ham club over by the University of Illinois, so I may give that a try soon. It sounded like they were getting contacts from all over CONUS.