Kommanders Krazy Jeep Kundroum

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
The Quiet Man

Re: Kommanders Krazy Jeep Kundroum

Post by The Quiet Man »

Kommander wrote:To be honest NPR I intend to start out slow. Just some dirt trails and what not. As time progresses I will see how much money I want to spend. Currently I am looking at liquefying some of my assets (Including an M1 I rarely shoot) to raise money for this endeavor. Thanks for all the help.
Hmmm...tell me about that M1...
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

I'd lean towards a Pinzgauer or UniMog myself.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

The YJ's are miles ahead of the CJ's on everything but the axles. The 4.0 liter I6's are great motors with tons of torque. The motor really never changed up through '06. 4.0's are easily swapped for AMC V8's with only changing (IIRC) the left motor mount. There are tons of inexpensive suspension upgrades because of the simple leaf spring suspension. The frame is boxed as opposed to the CJ channel frame. Rear axle upgrades are as simple as a trip to the local bone yard. 3.73:1 drum brake 31 spline axles(8.8") from early tow package explorers are simple swaps if you have some fabrication skill. 4.10:1 disk brake rears off of newer(pre-IRS) explorers swap in the same. I'm on my second YJ. This one running a ford 8.8 out back, Curry dana 44 up front, '88 5.0 liter backed by a T18 4 speed with an Atlas transfer case.

The stock TJ's have the advantage of greater suspension travel. The Unlimited only has a D44 rear and still retains the D30 front axle. The D30 holds up just fine "without a locker" for tires up to 33" or even 35" if all your doing is playing in mud. An Unlimited with a simple 2" spacer lift will easily fit 32" tires. Combined with swaybar disconnects will easily go most places you want. The disadvantage to the Rubicon models is the factory lift kit which makes suspension parts more expensive.

One last option is a ZJ Grand Cherokee. It has the same suspension as the TJ but not as mush height(still more than your S10). The 4.0 liter or 5.2 are both good motors, the later 5.9 liters are just overkill.
Formally the IrateIrishman