Cigar ashtrays

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Candyman

Cigar ashtrays

Post by Candyman »

A couple of months ago a friend of mine asked if I could make an ashtray. I told him I would see what I could do.
Here’s what I came up with. He smokes the smaller cigars and cigarettes.
I took a Hickory branch that had a crotch and turned it. I left the bark on it and put the rest slots at each branch end.
C934904B-B056-4FBA-A6E7-FC5B9CF969E7.jpeg
I then got to thinking that there wasn’t a big market for cigarettes ashtrays, but I know a bunch of people that smoke cigars. I figured that I could make and sell some cigar ashtrays.
I ordered a 2x5 blank of Ebiara, also known as Red Zebra wood, and made this ashtray. One of my friends that smokes cigars looked at it and said that it was nice, but I should make them bigger.
F7561020-5B7A-4717-BBC4-A920556C0A75.jpeg
So I ordered a few 7x2” blanks of wood. I figured these would be big enough, but not to big.
Here’s the first one made from Curupau. It’s a very dense wood, heavy but easy to work with.
I sold this one to a friend and she gave it to her husband for Christmas.
F5FE9435-458B-49DA-9EA1-E7A7918AC1E8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Candyman

Re: Cigar ashtrays

Post by Candyman »

My friend said that the size was nice but the rim should be a little wider so, I gave it another shot.
This one I made from Padauk. It’s an easy wood to turn, but makes a mess and everything gets covered with a reddish orange dust.
I had this one sold before I finished turning it.
5FB0C66C-70D5-45CD-B8A1-32A9703F78F8.jpeg
I then made two more, one from Maple and one from Ebiara. They sold within a couple of day after I finished making them.
69E0B496-69E3-43BE-99A0-553406D85F44.jpeg
So I have decided to keep making cigar ashtrays. To keep things interesting, I’m using different types of wood and have stared working on a square ashtray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

got a smoking business plan there. /rimshot/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I keep thinking that two ready made simple products if I ever manage to get a machining center are cigar ashtrays and cartridge trays for reloading.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I order most of the wood I use. It’s not like I don’t have any wood on hand, I’ve got stacks of logs of 8 different spices and plenty of it cut into turning blanks, but it has to dry.
Most of the wood here in the US is light in color. I have found that people like darker color wood. So I order a good bit of wood that comes out of South American and South Africa.
Here’s an ashtray I made from White Limbs. You don’t normally get as much dark streaks in White Limba.
0C89EBAF-599F-4DCA-B1F6-01DFEB4FD59E.jpeg

I’ve got some Black Limba coming in. I hope it pretty.
I’ve got blanks of Zebrawood, Black Walnut, Padauk, Red Elm, Purpleheart, Curupau and Maple waiting for me to turn into ashtrays. I’m just waiting on some more slate to arrive.