Decided to build some leather armor as a Halloween costume... boy that escalated quickly

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

Decided to build some leather armor as a Halloween costume... boy that escalated quickly

Post by Precision »

I decided to buy this template and build it.
https://www.blackravenacademy.com/the- ... r-patterns

I didn't like the weak shoulders, so opted to delete them and replace with these.
https://www.blackravenacademy.com/the-h ... rs-pattern

Then I decided if I was gonna go through all that trouble, then it should be functional as well. This meant buying some steel and creating a layer of full hard 301 stainless under the shoulders and creating a brigandine inner liner for the cuirasse. Building a dishing stump for making a helmet, greaves...

skipping some steps here, but now two friends and I are VERY SERIOUSLY considering joining a Buhurt group and learning how to fight in armor. I am half as excited to build the armor, but want to do the fighting. One friend is much more excited to build armor and sees the fighting as a test of how good we can build. The other is intrigued by the building but really wants to mix it up.

If you hear of three guys in "Nashville" deciding to take a walk in downtown in Full on Buhurt Armor (with swords, etc) don't know who it could possibly be.
Notice, fully legal in TN as armor is not banned and a KNIFE of any length may be covertly or openly worn. Already test cased by a guy with a Katana getting a beer at a local bar (IIRC).
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
tfbncc

Re: Decided to build some leather armor as a Halloween costume... boy that escalated quickly

Post by tfbncc »

Looks like fun. Keep the pictures and updates coming.
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Decided to build some leather armor as a Halloween costume... boy that escalated quickly

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Video of the three of you knocking some back and grooving in the bars on Broadway or it didn't happen.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

off to the Pennsic Wars next!
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 pm off to the Pennsic Wars next!
Hopefully Pennsic gets back to functioning and Coopers Lake doesn't go out of business.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Cobar wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:28 pmHopefully Pennsic gets back to functioning and Coopers Lake doesn't go out of business.
Word. I never made it to Pennsic -- I was a qualified fighter, if not much of one, in the March of Gwyntarian (Middle Kingdom) in the early '80s -- but I root for the SCA and outfits like Cooper's Lake to thrive.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Precision

Post by Precision »

Have been to two fight nights for the local group. Good group, has communal armor so newbies can mix it up before dropping $2-3k on armor. I need to work on my foot work, endurance and some other things (armor) but it is fun watching and will be much better when I start soft kitting, then hitting it hard.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Have a group that meets in local park Sundays where we meet to picnic after church with friends. Looks like they get a serious workout. Though you'd think maybe it would result in this particular group not being such a bunch of chubs. Maybe one day a week isn't enough when then rest of the week is spent (by the looks of most of them) online in their mom's basement eating doritos and drinking Tab.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

The group I am connecting with has all body sizes and shapes. 7 women who fight and 24 men. They seem to all be quite friendly and helpful. The women really want the wife to come out and fight too. I think she is gonna wait to see if I die first.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, the group we see looks to be having a great bit of fellowship. It's neat to see that sort of community within a community.