Farewell Maryland

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Termite

Re: Farewell Maryland

Post by Termite »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:26 pm Congrats and all, but when did PA start counting as a free state?
There's an old joke that goes:

Pennsylvania: Pittsburg on the west, Philadelphia on the east, and northern Alabama in between them.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am
Vonz90 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:26 pm Congrats and all, but when did PA start counting as a free state?

Pennsylvania: Pittsburg on the west, Philadelphia on the east, and northern Alabama in between them.
I am not hating on PA, (or MD even, which is lovely in a ot of ways). I am just saying PA is fairly typical blue leaning/ purple state. I guess a great step up from NJ or whatever but not a place (from a legal regime standpoint) I would be looking to move to.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 pm
I am not hating on PA, (or MD even, which is lovely in a ot of ways). I am just saying PA is fairly typical blue leaning/ purple state. I guess a great step up from NJ or whatever but not a place (from a legal regime standpoint) I would be looking to move to.
The only reason why PA is a swing state is Philly and it's suburbs.

There are no "blue states" with the exception of Vermont - virtually every one is a small blue urban area, that because of population density, overwhelms the rest of the red areas of the state.

And I can tell you that the rural Pennsylvania "T", is overwhelmingly white, pro gun(PA has one of the highest number of big game permits, carry permits per Capita, and overall gun ownership in the US), and extremely right leaning - I saw Trump billboards up a year and a half after he got elected on Rte 6. Heading towards Scranton.
Last edited by HTRN on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am]

That's a corruption of a James Carville quote, who was for a long time, considered one of the best democrat political consultants.
Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks. They didn't film The Deer Hunter there for nothing – the state has the second-highest concentration of NRA members, behind Texas
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

This dropped a week ago:
https://youtu.be/mz4iSzkGWao
It may be the most honest description of PA I've ever heard.

AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Well I already love scrapple so I have that going for me. And my wife loves it, she sees it as local haggis. Never hunted before.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)