Today I learned....

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
kapikui

Re: Today I learned....

Post by kapikui »

HTRN wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 pm And oh, Igloo had released an Iron Maiden Cooler..

https://www.igloocoolers.com/products/i ... ies-cooler

I swear this century just keeps getting weirder.
And here I was hoping it was paying homage to the other iron maiden.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Vonz90 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:31 am
Weetabix wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 pm Today I learned that linseed oil is a safe finish for kids, but BOILED linseed oil is not because they add other things to it in addition to the boiling.
Why are you finishing your kids? Maybe some sunblock or lotion now and again should be all one needs.
Well, we homeschooled, so I thought I'd better complete the job and do finishing school. Their table manners are atrocious.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Today I learned I actually can get into a car with a coat hanger. Never tried it before. Not my car, but the owner was grateful and relieved to have renewed access to the keys.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Today (last week actually) I learned that an F250 is basically useless as a platform for a cabover camper. At least as relates to GVW rating/legality, not actual capability and safety.

Especially if said F250 is a diesel 4x4.

GVW 8800
Scale weight currently with Leer streamliner cap, brushguard and full tank ~7700# (less cap and tailgate will put it near 7300).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:43 am Especially if said F250 is a diesel 4x4.
My brother had one burn to the ground, because of the genius way they designed the emission system for that. It's not well known, but more than a few of them burned because of Ford's genius, and because their bean counters decided that including a two dollar idiot light warning that Regen was needed, was far to big an extravagance. :roll:

Ram diesel: a million dollar engine in a ten cent truck.
Ford: apparently their engineering department is staffed by the Detroit area special Ed classes. Those that say "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy", don't worry, you will!
GM: honestly the only decent Lt truck at the upper end of the payload range. yes the interior feels cheap, it's a GM - they've been like that going back to the 80s. Everything else though? Less headaches than the other two.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

98.5 PSD 7.3 (139K on the clock) so no regen. Sold '02 Excursion 7.3 to a friend with 290K on it so pretty comfortable with that set up. Got a list of preemptive repairs and upgrades I'm working through. Starting with complete cooling system R&R. Got all the bits in the cab now including a Mishimoto aluminum expansion tank (no more plastic failing every 150K thank you).
Bypass water filter and bypass oil filter going on at same time.
Next up an AT&S billet torque convertor and a shift module (Likely Banks). Planning a Thanksgiving week roadtrip to Texas.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://newcriterion.com/issues/1992/11 ... ss-malraux

Today I learned about this guy. Interesting
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

wow, that was quite a read. A bit hard to stay with all the twists and turns whilst caffeinated

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Today I learned how to remove a tight ring with a tourniquet:
https://youtube.com/shorts/MzlMAdhnU-k?feature=share
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt