Today I learned....

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Netpackrat

Re: Today I learned....

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:02 pm Today, I learned that Famous drag queen RuPaul not only has a 60,000 acre ranch in Wyoming, that has a huge fracking operation on it ....

https://gizmodo.com/rupaul-has-a-fracki ... 1842364626

The world doesn't make sense anymore
:lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Today, I learned some new twists on making deviled eggs:

https://youtu.be/cf6Bkp-1GTE
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I found out that my son in law's grandfather flew a P51 in Europe in WW2. I have a relative on my mother's side who did (long since passed, never met him) as well during the same time but different squadron. Still, kinda cool.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Today, I learned that because of the COVID lockdowns, there's a new supermarionation series filmed on a low budget and available on Amazon prime, called "Nebula 75"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula-75

https://www.nebula-75.com/

https://youtu.be/4OnY9I22NsA
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

If you put spaces in that you get super mario nation... something completely different.

About 20 years ago I used to babysit my nephew in the afternoons and thunderbirds re-runs would come on TV. He really loved them.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Today I learned that most of the NYFC department store Christmas window displays -- Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor before they went under, etc. -- are destroyed immediately after the holidays (to keep them from being parted out & sold on eBay, etc.). Some of the exceptions have been preserved and are part of the attractions at Castle Noel in Medina, Ohio.

Also has the slide from A Christmas Story, which guests may ride.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Today I learned just how bad the used car market has gotten + it's been reported by Edmunds that the average price paid for a used car jumped from $20,923 in May/20 to $25,091 a year later..

https://grow.acorns.com/amp/the-ideal-a ... -used-car/

That's roughly a 20% rise in price.. :shock: But it kinda makes sense, and not just from the ongoing chip shortage( I'm still waiting for a 1660xc black gpu to come down to sanish prices), but also overall inflation has driven up consumer goods anywhere from 15-20%

Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

And, all the new cars out there are coming with a level of doodadery that raises prices on new into the stratosphere and ends up pissing people off.

I rent cars and trucks regularly for work. First thing I do is turn off adaptive cruise, lane keeping, and whatever the fresh hell it is that chevy puts in their urban assault vehicles that keeps punching me in the ass.

Because, they only ever go off in a parking lot or diving down a ranch, right of way, or other unimproved road. And Lord help you if you get a little mud on a sensor on 4x4 truck/suv that keeps the lane keeping assist from working.

I’ve finally reached an age where I think car design peaked 20 years ago and it’s been downhill ever since.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rustyv wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:11 pm I’ve finally reached an age where I think car design peaked 20 years ago and it’s been downhill ever since.
The LS engine, easily the best V8 engine made today, first went into production in 1995.

Honestly? I think it peaked in 2015. That's when all the entertainment systems, lane keeping, etc started becoming common.

Today, I learned that I had not, in fact, lost my Benchmade 710. 5 years ago, and had to replace it after it was discontinued by buying one from Germany on ebay. I found the original in a box of bullet molds I hadn't looked in since forever. I think I tried to stick it in my pocket, missed it and it dropped into the cardboard box full of molds and never noticed.

So now, what to do? I think I'll keep the found original, because the blade lockup is tighter, and maybe trade the replacement for something.. I know one of my friends was thinking about getting one, so maybe I'll see if he wants to trade...

randy

Post by randy »

Today I learned that coiling up a temporarily unused section of antenna feed line and hanging it on the tower next to my Sloper antenna feed line means that there is no way to tune up on the Amateur Radio 17 Meter band. Hang it on the other side of the tower and everything is happy again. [/ham radio geekery]
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".