Today I learned....

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
HTRN

Today I learned....

Post by HTRN »

I've decided to start a new thread, for contributors to add to the general knowledge pool..

Today I learned, the reason why Mushrooms absorb so much oil, is because they're basically sponges, filled with micro air pockets. You can get around the issue by par cooking them in the microwave, causing the to dehydrate slightly, collapsing the air pockets...

Or you can do what I do, and cook 'em in butter. Hrmmm, butter.. argbrgl....[/homer simpson noises]
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Today I learned....

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I recommend cooking mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, black pepper, and tarragon.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
BDK

Post by BDK »

Its why you cook them in marinade, at first, and finish them in oil...
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Left over honey mustard (gluten free) soy sauce marinade used on a sous vide pork loin makes a great salad dressing.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm on day 2 of a week long advanced composites course paid for by my employer. We just did a 6 layer wet layup with vacuum bagging. Yesterday we were working with prepreg carbon fiber. A lot of the material is not new to me, but it's the first time I have gotten to go hands on with some of it.

Course is in Reno so I am going to try to hit a range that rents full auto after class tonight.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

That armadillos are now considered native in Missouri. They migrated here all on their own.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

That people who framed homes in 1922 had VERY different conceptions of complete sheathing than they do now. There's a very large void that lets outside air into the walls and second floor framing from the porch roof. No wonder my bedroom is so cold in the winter.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:55 pm That people who framed homes in 1922 had VERY different conceptions of complete sheathing than they do now. There's a very large void that lets outside air into the walls and second floor framing from the porch roof. No wonder my bedroom is so cold in the winter.
Sounds like every home I have owned, and none have been that old. I found uncovered gaps in to my current basement that a raccoon could have walked through (and may have).
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That people who framed homes in 1922 had VERY different conceptions of complete sheathing than they do now. There's a very large void that lets outside air into the walls and second floor framing from the porch roof. No wonder my bedroom is so cold in the winter.
heh. Same generation that would sleep with 2-3" window opening no matter how cold. Fresh air therapy (turns out there's some good science to that old wive's wisdom)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Today, I learned that Famous drag queen RuPaul not only has a 60,000 acre ranch in Wyoming, that has a huge fracking operation on it ....

https://gizmodo.com/rupaul-has-a-fracki ... 1842364626

The world doesn't make sense anymore
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt