DIY help for a stable temperature water bath

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

DIY help for a stable temperature water bath

Post by Precision »

Not sure my title says it properly but it gets the idea across.

I am going to have foot surgery in about a month and will be unable to drive (or walk much) for the following six weeks.

That means I NEED stuff to occupy my time outside of my normal active activities. With this in mind, I am planning on making a suit of Armor (think 1500's). I am going to make brigandine style armor. Inner layer of thin leather as the substrate for riveting the shingled bits of steel to. Then an outer layer of hardened leather for looks and form with strategic rivets to couple the outer and inner leather.

My research shows that dipping the leather in 180 degree water for a brief time (about a minute) thickens it, makes it very pliable and after it dries greatly increases the hardness. What historical texts refer to as "cuirboulli".

My goal is to have the brigandine be the workhorse, the inner layer of leather be the attachment point for all those metal chunks and have that thin layer attached in a few key points to the outer hardened leather.

Trying to regulate the water to 180 with a turkey fryer or on top of the stove is silliness, so I though some kind of thermometer coupled to a regulated heat element and maybe a circulating pump. But I have little practical experience in this type of build. But essentially a DIY sous vide that can get 2-3 gal of water to 180 degrees and keep it there. Preferably using 110 power.

Suggestions. and yes, Price is an issue.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Re: DIY help for a stable temperature water bath

Post by blackeagle603 »

I think you answered the question in the asking. Sous Vide.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:40 pm I think you answered the question in the asking. Sous Vide.
More importantly, if you need to use a larger volume of water than the typical retail machine can do(iirc, the 900w Anova can do up to 5 gallons, but they have models now that go up to 1200 watts) you can go much higher in volume If you use an insulated cooler - the Coleman "party stacker" cooler are probably the best option for a vessel.

Polyscience has 1600 watt circulators that will do 12 gf gallon baths, but your talking close to a grand for just the circulator, AND it requires 220v power, not exactly common on a kitchen..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

https://www.amazon.com/Kova-Cooker-Prec ... 11&sr=8-10

1200 watts and very affordable. Added bonus: magnetic base or side clip mounting.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yeah.... Something like that, which only has 3 reviews, all of them 4 stars or better? At a lower price than the competition?

Not suspicious at all...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

also might try putting on low on a burner to provide bulk of heat up over some level like 125-150 then see if a small clip on sous vide unit can add enough energy on top to that and control the peak temp with its PID
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

I was thinking of building my own sous vide, but I was unaware these self contained units had gotten so cheap. BE the preheat idea is a good one especially since I need it at 180.

Thanks guys
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've got a Kitchen Gizmo that's been great for my conventional purposes in a small stock pot. Mostly steak type cuts at lower temps 125-130F. But I've also done larger cuts of pork at higher temps.

It's been excellent for "medicinal" yogurt making as well. Held perfectly at just over 100F (which was temp needed for the particular strain of probiotic I added to culture). That was a biohacking project I was onto at the time after a round of Cipro wiped out my ubiome.

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

We use a 3.5 gallon frosting bucket and an immersion circulator. For steaks and such at 130-134 degrees the 1000W circulator is fine but when we cooked things that required 145-150 or higher, we needed to insulate the bucket, and generally left a lid (with a cutout for the circulator) on during cooking. Just an FYI that at 180 degrees you may need to consider insulation; we wrapped the bucket in a woobie.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rich Jordan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:51 amJust an FYI that at 180 degrees you may need to consider insulation; we wrapped the bucket in a woobie.
I forget what it's called, but the thin, silver backed insulation that they use in things like sunshades for cars works extremely well, and I believe is available at Home Depot :ugeek: