DIY help for a stable temperature water bath

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MiddleAgedKen

Re: DIY help for a stable temperature water bath

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Izzat Mylar?
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I think it's like two layers of mylar with a thin sheet of foam between them.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

I was thinking of buying a smallish cooler and cutting a hole in the top for the sous vide machine.
Will have to look at the insulation stuff and the vessel to provide strength as that won't be very durable on its own.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I always at least set up pot on a thick potholder to buffer the counter heaksinking it.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 pm I was thinking of buying a smallish cooler and cutting a hole in the top for the sous vide machine.
Coleman Party stacker :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

At 180, you will be fighting a lot of moisture loss. You’ll want some kind of lid.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:07 am I forget what it's called, but the thin, silver backed insulation that they use in things like sunshades for cars works extremely well, and I believe is available at Home Depot :ugeek:
Reflectix?
https://www.reflectixinc.com/
Their literature says its max temperature is 180F, though, so maybe something in between the vessel and the reflectix.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I dunno what it was called, just that it looked like in various "hack" photos for Sous Vide. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the water temp isn't stable due to the volume vs heater size, at that point, I'd get a stacker cooler and a holesaw.