Diesel truck AC issues

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

Diesel truck AC issues

Post by Precision »

Hi guys,
Wanting to leverage someone's expertise on a vehicle AC's.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel

I have taken it to the local mechanic three times. I am pretty sure there is a leak, compressor issue, something . He did vacuum checks, put in the leak detector fluid and the first two times to no avail. The last time he found two "small" leaks at the input area. Braised those shut.

He claimed the "freon" was not low, was actually a bit high and when I got it back (on a cool day) it made the truck cold. That was 2 weeks ago. This past week it got warm (80's) and the AC kinda sorta worked, but it certainly didn't make the cab cold. The incoming air was colder than ambient by not by much.

Historically if I use a "freon" refill bottle, it takes a fair amount of the stuff and immediately makes the air colder. It lasts about 3-4 days, then I need a new refill. I do not drive daily so essentially each time I drive I need to add 10 minute and refill the "freon", can you say annoying.

I also notice last week that the AC blower seems to speed up when I put my foot on the brake. The harder I break the faster the blower runs. Seems odd but consistent.

Barring good advice here, next I am looking for a new AC guy.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Re: Diesel truck AC issues

Post by HTRN »

Ah, Cummins Dodge, where we put a thousand dollar engine into a ten cent truck....

Those freon fill bottles are away of damaging your ac system, as they don't pull a vacuum before adding freon, therefore overpressuring the lines.

What would I do? Start saving money, and plan on replacing everything with freon flowing through it, INCLUDING THE COMPRESSOR, as I guarantee as soon as you fix one thing, something else will start leaking.

Then try to score a vac pump and gauges off craigslist, and watch a youtube video on how to charge automotive a/c. :ugeek:

Yes this will be vastly more expensive than simply fixing the current issue. Yes it will take longer, and you'll be sweating this summer. But in the long run, it will be the cheapest, fastest way to truly fix the problem,cwhich is the a/c system is having a slow rolling catastrophic failure. Just fixing the current issue is putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound- it stops the bleeding, but doesn't really fix the issue. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The main thing to know about the AC systems of all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles is that they are designed, built and assembled by crack addled monkeys. The last Jeep I had I gave up trying to keep the AC running after the third time it died.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:11 pm The main thing to know about the AC systems of all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles is that they are designed, built and assembled by crack addled monkeys. The last Jeep I had I gave up trying to keep the AC running after the third time it died.
Quoted for truth.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Ok so find a new AC guy and prepare to give him lots of money. Got it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am Ok so find a new AC guy and prepare to give him lots of money. Got it.
No learn to fix it yourself and spend a shoebox full of noney, or send it to a mechanic and spend a wheelbarrow load.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 pm
Precision wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am Ok so find a new AC guy and prepare to give him lots of money. Got it.
No learn to fix it yourself and spend a shoebox full of noney, or send it to a mechanic and spend a wheelbarrow load.
I guess then U-boob is my new best friend. I know jack about HVAC, but I guess it can't be that tough. Most stuff isn't.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

One option to do all the R&R yourself then go to an AC tech to have the system dried and charged.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:11 pm The main thing to know about the AC systems of all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles is that they are designed, built and assembled by crack addled monkeys. The last Jeep I had I gave up trying to keep the AC running after the third time it died.
Quoted for truth.
Seconded
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

scipioafricanus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:59 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm
Quoted for truth.
Seconded
To be fair, I don't think the people at Jeep had in mind that the heater motor and its associated electrical components would be expected to run flat out at a 100% duty cycle for 6 months out of each year.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop