diesel truck upgrade time

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
toad

Re: diesel truck upgrade time

Post by toad »

My search fu is weak . Does Toyota make a diesel that is available in the US ?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Afaik, no.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

I haven't seen one in a long time but you used to see taxi cabs with an air-conditioner mounted on their roof.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

toad wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:36 pm I haven't seen one in a long time but you used to see taxi cabs with an air-conditioner mounted on their roof.
We had an axillary ac unit for vans back when I did engineering for Ford. It would mount in the left body panel then had a duct system that fit into the headliner. The heat exchanger mounted up next to the engine radiator. I assume they are still made but retrofit would be nasty if even possible.

Maybe an aftermarket RV AC system. I have no direct experience but fairly certain that they exist.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Speaking of Diesels and upgrades.

Looks like I'll be parting with our 2002 4x4 Excursion 7.3. That 7.3 has been real good to me. Even with the odd bits of hassle along the way (CPS, oil cooler, oil pressure sender, expansion tanks every 150-160K) it's been a real winner. I've got a young friend with a young family who's been pestering me to sell for several years. Wore me down finally. I expect I'll be driving to Colorado to drop it with him (any excuse for a road trip :) ).

Have started looking at lower mileage F250s 7.3 of similar vintage. They can be had but come at premium. I need to account for the added cost of upgrading to get back to where I had the Excursion. .

Later model PSDs are nice with a lot of power but also with an added degree of complexity and crazy prices, higher insurance and tags. I'll just be stubborn and stick with what I know I guess.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
g-man

Post by g-man »

SWMBO was significantly more concerned with my "drive it until it dies" plan than I was, and with the #8 injector definitely gone, and mileage dropping to the single digits (NOT towing!), she wasn't comfortable towing our rig anywhere with the F250 anymore. It definitely needed the one injector, and if I'm doing that, I'm doing the whole side... which means the truck is down for a while. I was like "if it dies, it dies..." and she wasn't really having that. She also wasn't really keen on chucking $$$ at a truck that afterward would be worth $$.

Quick search turned up a local "used" 2020 F150 with <600 miles, only used because someone apparently bumped the front end. Thing had to have been a special order for someone, since it has a factory-installed backup beeper alarm, and a block heater (in TX?!?). Specifically has the MaxTow package, which means she'll pull 12.5k off the bumper - the same as the '08 250 would. Found a used Ranch camper shell (think bottom-tier: A.R.E. > Leer > Leonard / SnugTop > Ranch) for $140, and after adding a roof rack, some bedliner to match the truck color, and ordering a sliding front window, I'll have ~$500 in the thing, and can move the dogs out of the back seat. While I'd like to have just fixed the 250, I'm not especially disappointed with what amounts to a brand new truck. Also get fewer complaints that the bluetooth connection through the stereo sounds like crap while I'm driving home, so that's another plus.

There's a guy about 2 blocks from me in the neighborhood that has an Excursion to pull his pontoon boat, an Explorer, and what appears to be a old-school turbo Supra in the garage. One day...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

If I had a do-over. I'd have put a 2 micron bypass filter on as soon as I purchased it with 40K miles on the clock.

I had a lifter start to get lazy in my 7.3 at about 270K or so. I hypothesize that better filtration would have extended that part life considerably. So the heads came off for that and while the heads looked fine I had those completely rebuilt while it was opened up.
Nice to see the cylinders up close and personal. Good for the long haul.

It got to where it would throw a code and sometimes feel a slight miss under load on a grade. At first thought it was an injector. First noticed the problem pulling a trailer full of furniture over Siskyou summit on my daughter's move to OR.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:48 pm If I had a do-over. I'd have put a 2 micron bypass filter on as soon as I purchased it with 40K miles on the clock.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/ea-bypass-oil- ... EABP120-EA

https://www.amsoil.com/p/universal-dual ... tem-bmk23/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yep, there's all manner of bypass filter setups out there for sale. Some like the Amsoil put an adaptor block on existing oil filter mount with either the main filter staying in that location or going off to a 2-filter mount (Primary and bypass) along the frame.

Others just leave the stock filter be and access the oil for the bypass filter directly at plugs in the block. Only putting the bypass filter at end of flex lines on a frame mount.

for example https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-s ... owerstroke

bypass filter lines tapped into 7.3 block
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/ ... 1589967540

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

What's that old saw about a fool and his money? Yeah, soon parted they are.

I went and did it. Sold the '02 Excursion 7.3PSD 4x4 in June after nearly 20 years of family fun and adventure. Been looking for months for a low mile 7.3 truck
Today, flew up to Portland and bought a 99 F250 7.3PSD 4x4 with 138K on the clock. Looks like it was someone's baby and spent most of it's life in a garage. Hope I'm right. Lord willing and the creek don't rise wire transfers finish cleanly and I'm driving back to San Dog on the morrow.

...fool and his money